Author Topic: 24th May 1915, Private Percy Joseph Cartwright, 18, K.O.Y.L.I 1/5 Battalion  (Read 58 times)

Offline crimtaa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
24th May 1915, Private Percy Joseph Cartwright, 18, K.O.Y.L.I 1/5 Battalion
« on: Thursday 07 September 23 00:10 BST (UK) »
Percy Joseph Cartwright was born in Foxholes in Methley, on the 3rd of September 1896, to George and Clara Sarah Cartwright (ne้ Birkett). Once he was 5 years old the Cartwrights had moved to Hyde Park in Doncaster, and in 1911 he was a local errand boy for a grocers. In 1914, he signed up to fight for the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry - apparently having lied about his age to get in. They were posted to Bois-Grenier in France by early 1915, where Percy would die after being struck by a shell on the late evening of the 24th May (as stated in the 1/5 Battalion diary)
My great-grandfather Percy was named after him (Percy Joseph is my great-great granduncle).
My family had possession of a large photo of Percy either on or stood next to a horse, but it was unfortunately thrown out because no one knew who he was other than a name.
He is commemorated in Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery, on a large wooden plaque in their KOYLI exhibit.