Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 931 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 census
« on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
This is my great grandfather, as you can see he was a general dealer but he has what was called Marine Store and above it is written in writing I have no idea what it could be, any suggestions? Many thanks.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:13 BST (UK) »
"Fishdealer" ? (Seems to be loosely compatible with Marine Stores).
Elwyn

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
& fish dealer
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
"Fishdealer" ? (Seems to be loosely compatible with Marine Stores).

No, there is a misconception about the old marine store dealers, it is becoming more apparent as people do their research they're finding these shops totally landlocked and are more likely to be a place where Roma/gypsy/Travellers would've settled. Indeed this man had a scrapyard as did his father and they basically sold what today we call a junk shop. So we might be looking at something to do with scrap or I originally thought it was saying the shop was where he lived but further looking it's not that. Thanks for reply.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
So you are asking us to read the handwriting but you have a preconception that it can't possibly say "fish dealer"? Perhaps if you give us the name and location we could check other sources.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:39 BST (UK) »

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:41 BST (UK) »
Yes the location is Pembroke, at the bottom end of where the castle is. There were many marine store dealers on the streets, most of whom were either Irish all foreigners such as my family, it was known as the rough end of town where the middle classes dare go at night.  They had scrapyards, these shops and Dealt in metal as did my grandfather. In 1921 he was the licensee of the pub but he still was collecting metal as there is a newspaper  cutting during WWI him to do is VSO service, but he was saying he was already collected metal at night.  As far as I know Pembroke that Point in time was not of fishing Port. And as they had horse and carts I can't imagine they would travel anyway to buy fish, of course I may be wrong, but it would be the first and generations to dealing fish I'll try and attach a further close up

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:46 BST (UK) »
To help find it
www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7J5-W4P
Yes that is the one they have missed transcribed it as well if you look at the word 'dealer' it is not written in the same way as it is written in the larger print, I apologise for my grammar and spelling I have significant dyslexia.

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 September 23 21:54 BST (UK) »
I would believe if he had written furn dealer, as shorthand for furniture dealer which would make more sense as his son did have an antique shop at one point. But it is obvious to the word dealer is spelt differently. But it may not be in the letter i after F as there is no dot, but it could be a 'u'.?