Author Topic: Help to identify raf initial training wing please  (Read 218 times)

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to identify raf initial training wing please
« on: Tuesday 26 September 23 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to figure out which initial training wing my grandad was in, I know it was after may 1943 and from the photo I think he did his air crew training in Bridlington but I thought if someone could identify the captain on the front row centre it might help me to work out which training wing my grandad was in and maybe this will give me more clues regarding his service.
I am waiting for his service records but just thought Iwoukd see if Ican find anything out while I wait impatiently lol   
Any help would be amazing please 😊

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify raf initial training wing please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
There's a similar photograph on the BBC website "WWII People's War" entitled

"Sam's War"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/09/a6791709.shtml
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 14:30 BST (UK) »
He's not a captain. It's hard to make out the rank on his lower arm but it looks like a single ring which means he's either a Pilot Officer or Flying Officer. Presumably he's the course officer.

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
Definitely the same place but the wrong year and unfortunately he only mentions his time in Bridlington briefly but thank you so much for your reply 😊

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

My grandad is only a cadet in the picture but I was thinking if someone knew the name of the officer in charge I might be able to research which training units he was responsible for and that might help me to work out which ITW my grandad was in because there were quite a few that ran from Bridlington between 1943 and 1944 😊

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 16:15 BST (UK) »
I've found another picture which seems to be taken at the same location, and someone has identified it as the Grand Pavilion Theatre, Bridlington:

https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/40840

If you zoom in, the notice in the window at the back does seem to say Grand Pavilion, though that doesn't necessarily prove that the picture was taken there. I haven't managed to find any other photos of the theatre that would verify the ID.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk