Author Topic: Blue Light Screen Protectors  (Read 631 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Blue Light Screen Protectors
« on: Friday 29 September 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking of buying a blue light screen protector for my laptop and would like advice on what type to get, please.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Light Screen Protectors
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
Windows 10/11 (and MacOS) have a "night light" mode which reduces the blue component of light from the screen.

This may be sufficient for your needs, and costs nothing.

In Windows 10/11, it's at Settings, System, Display. Mine is set for "Sunset until Sunrise".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 23 20:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Andrew. I've tried that but it gives too much of of a yellow/orange cast (even at a low level) for when I'm doing art and photo work.

The screens seem to be more quickly removed than switching and re-adjusting the display settings.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 07:13 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that if you remove some of the blue component (either by software or with a filter mask)
then what remains has a yellowish cast.  The laws of physics apply.

In any case I think you should have ambient daylight for art and photography work.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
I asked about screen protectors.

(I have used  Spyder in the past for calibration)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
I asked about screen protectors.

(I have used  Spyder in the past for calibration)

Unless you want the screen protector to prevent physical damage, I think you are on a losing track.

If you remove some blue with a filter, "calibration" will just put the blue back by boosting its level. It's the way colours work. The screen has dots of red, green and blue. These match up with colour receptors ("cones") in the human eye for red, green and blue. White is a mixture of the three, and is also detected by the "black and white" receptors - "rods" - which work better in low light conditions.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 12:50 BST (UK) »
Calibration was an answer to Hugh, Andrew.

Update - https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/glasses-lenses/do-blue-light-glasses-work

Ive got lots of info from Googling, so I've marked this as Completed.

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
The best option might be the ones that just clip to top of laptop for ease of removal and refit. And opt for one with anti-glare if possible.
Stevens, Pye  East London