Author Topic: 2 members of the Weiss family - appear as marriage witness - nowhere to be found  (Read 881 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Hi All,

On the marriage of my cousin Eliza Mary Ann Westwood to Alfred Charles Shelley at St Barnabas Church, Cambridge on July 7th 1898 appear 4 witnesses !!
Lucky me!! - 2 are family members - the other two are:
Elsa Rose Weiss & Gladys Weiss - obviously I no nothing about these 2 ladies.
I can't find them on FreeBMD or on the IGI 1881 census or the 1901 census - can anyone trace either/both of them for me?

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: 2 members of the Weiss family - appear as marriage witness - nowhere to be found
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 05 09:58 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

This is a strange one Keith - can't find them on the 1871, 1881 or 1891 Census (using all possible variations).

As far as I'm aware 'Gladys' isn't a German or Swiss name, but Elsa Rose is, so perhaps they were related through marriage - ie. Elsa might just have been visiting her brother or cousin  ??? ??? ???

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: 2 members of the Weiss family - appear as marriage witness - nowhere to be found
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobo,

Many thanks for looking - yes I thought Gladys didn't seem to go with Weiss - but as you say it was probably hers by marriage!

Surely they couldn't have "flown in" just for the marriage - they may have been just friends of the bride or groom - and therefore nothing to do with my family history - but I hate a mystery!!  ;D

Their name may have been altered - but from what??

Ne'er mind  - I have enough trouble with definite relatives.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobo,

Many thanks for looking - yes I thought Gladys didn't seem to go with Weiss - but as you say it was probably hers by marriage!

Surely they couldn't have "flown in" just for the marriage - they may have been just friends of the bride or groom - and therefore nothing to do with my family history - but I hate a mystery!!  ;D

That's what I thought Keith, perhaps Gladys was a friend who had married a Weiss, and perhaps her sister-in-law Elas was in England visiting and got asked to the wedding on the spur of the moment. 

As you say, you have enough trouble with your own rellies.

;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)