Author Topic: Woburn parish registers: HENLEY  (Read 275 times)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Woburn parish registers: HENLEY
« on: Thursday 12 October 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have the typewritten copy but need confirmation from original parish registers or bishop's transcripts because there are three baptism entries that don't make a lot of sense.

Joseph born 23/12/1799 bapt 23/2/1800 William and Mary Henley. There were no William and Mary Henley marriages in Woburn. Could it have been William Henley and Mary X or William X and Mary Henley, or could the 'Mary' be incorrect, as William Henley and Sarah would make sense? This Joseph doesn't seem to appear anywhere in subsequent records so possibly the William and Mary are from elsewhere, not otherwise appearing in Woburn parish records.

John born 16/11/1810 bapt 9/12/1810 William and Ann Henley
William Ralph born 16/4/1811 bapt 30/6/1811 William and Ann Henley
This is of course impossible if it's the same Ann. I think John is definitely the son of William Henley and his wife Ann (nee White). I think Ralph is the surname of the other Ann - who was unmarried and 5 years older than William (if it was the same William Henley). So that the child was given the surname Ralph, not a middle name Ralph.

Are there any clues in the original handwritten registers?
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Woburn parish registers: HENLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 23 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a burial for a Joseph Henley which  sort of fits.
NBI  & FindMyPast
Woburn 27 April 1830
Joseph Henley birth 1801  aged 29yrs

Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 23 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. The age 29 years makes this fit better than the one that I had, which was a Joseph Henley born 1790 (son of Andrew Henley and Elizabeth Chevall). Of course it means I now have to search for what happened to this one! However, there are indications that two brothers of the 1790 Joseph moved away from Woburn, and circumstantial evidence that they may have gone to London.
-Stephen
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 23 14:41 GMT (UK) »
So where was William & Ann White married?

Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 October 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Ok I've found it. It's Woburn they married 10 Dec 1805 . So you think John is there son...yes possible, so what about William Ralph . So have you  found a marriage for William Henley & Ann Ralph ?
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 October 23 16:01 GMT (UK) »
There is solid evidence for John being the son of William Henley and Ann White. Ann came from St Clement Danes, Westminster. In 1803 (information from the Russelll archives) she was a housemaid in Woburn Abbey alongside Catherine Henley, William's cousin, and her elder sister Lettice was a witness at John Henley's own marriage in Brighton in 1838. The mystery was William Ralph. Looking at the dates of birth he cannot have had the same mother as John. William Ralph was the illegitimate son of Anne Ralph, who never married. His father was a William Henley: most likely the same one, though could have been his uncle. Too many Williams! The big question is who were the parents of Joseph born 1799. My best guess is William Henley and Mary Raklph, both then aged 17. Mary Ralph was Ann's sister. There was another child, in 1802, christened 23 May: Rebecca Ralph (father unnamed, mother Ann Ralph). Rebecca died 5 Aug 1802. Complicated story. And that's before we try to unravel the White family in Woburn and in St Clement Danes. That one is not for rootschat because I doubt if there's any documentary evidence that would help - but it seems that William White (Ann's and Lettice's father) had a family in Woburn 1750s to 1770, and another family in St Clement Danes 1772-1785. He was the tenant and ratepayer of 14 Leighton Street, Woburn until his death in 1810, when the tenancy was taken over by Andrew Henley (William's father). 

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 23 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Crumbs what a tangled web!!
There is a reference to a William Henley in the Woburn Non Conformist Book 1791 page 2
Members that had joined since opened in 1791
Wm Henley ... removed
There is also a Jane White she also has been removed

Becky
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 23 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks! That reminder is useful. I knew about the entry for William Henley, and it is consistent with him moving to London or Brighton. I think 'removed' may just mean that he moved away from Woburn - not that he was removed i.e. expelled! Thanks for the mention of Jane White - one that needs checking, as I don't have any mention of a Jane White. Possibly the wife of one of William's sons.
The move must have been after 1816 because William Henley was the first secretary of the Benevolent Brothers Benefit Society, a 'friendly society' set up in Woburn in 1816. His cousin Thomas was the first chairman. One of the conditions of membership was that all family members had to be vaccinated against smallpox. Very early adopters of vaccination!