Author Topic: Missing family  (Read 545 times)

Offline Kay Emm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing family
« on: Monday 16 October 23 18:04 BST (UK) »
DNA has brought someone to me through a family line that, in my tree, is currently incomplete and I wonder if anyone can possible help, please?
John GOODWAY B. 1785 Great Rissington, Glos. married Sarah BOWN, (B. 1784 Down Ampney, Glos), on 22nd Jan. 1810, Down Ampney.
William GOODWAY was born later in 1810 and Hannah GOODWAY was born in 1812. Then I have John GOODWAY B. 1824. However, the DNA link is through Edward GOODWAY B. 1821 who I can't find. (I have also been advised that Alice B. 1819 should be in my tree but both are missing).
If anyone has the information that can confirm that these 2 children do belong in my tree I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
Baptised at Great Rissington:
11 April 1819 Alice  d/o John and Sarah Goodway
30 April 1821 Edward s/o John and Sarah Goodway

John is a labourer
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay Emm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Galium for letting me have the information on missing family members. Your help has been very much appreciated.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think that the date you have for John Goodway jnr may be incorrect.

John and Sarah have a John baptised at Down Ampney 24 November 1816 (John's occupation is given as 'husbandman').

John Goodway aged 3 was buried at Great Rissington 18 May 1820

Another John s/o John and Sarah Goodway was baptised at Great Rissington 16 July 1820.

There are also baptisms of:
Elizabeth d/o John and Sarah Goodway 27 Februry 1814 at Down Ampney; buried 14 May 1820 aged 6 at Great Rissington
 Robert s/o John and Sarah Goodway 27 July 1823 at Great Rissington

Offline Kay Emm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Galium. Thank you for the additional information. I want to check what 'notes' I have and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please bear with me. Thank you.

Offline Kay Emm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
It is very possible that John Goodway and Sarah Bown(e) had a child in 1816, (John Baptised 24th November 1816 – 18 May 1920), being between the birth of Hannah, B.1812 & Alice, B. 1819. As the first born son he would most likely have been called John. This also could apply to Elizabeth, B 1814 – 1820. Quite sad as neither child appears to have lived beyond 1820.

My Goodway/Bown family are mainly carpenters, cabinet makers, coopers or bakers who mainly stayed in Great Rissington, (Stow on the Wold), Gloucestershire or Wiltshire areas.

In 1841 John Snr. & Sarah are in Great Rissington with no children at home but with a servant.
In 1851 John Snr. & Sarah are still in Great Rissington and now John, Jnr. B. recorded as 1824, a cabinet maker, is with them! (This is the one and only time I have seen John Jnr. mentioned). It would be possible to conclude that John Jnr. was somewhere taking up an apprenticeship in 1841, age 14 years but I haven’t found any evidence of this.

The other weird anomaly here is that it is recorded they have an unmarried daughter Charlotte, B. 1831, Wiltshire living with them. (Numerous people have taken this as fact and added it to their FH)! I have looked at the ‘original scanned image’ entry and find 2 things bother me about this. 1) I see the ‘original’ as reading Charlotte is ‘married’ which could imply she is the wife of John, Jnr. and is John, Snr. and Sarah’s daughter-in-law. 2) I don’t know of any children who were born to John & Sarah out of County!! Added to this there is a marriage of a John Goodway to Charlotte Pater/Paten Sep ¼ 1850 Witney, Oxfordshire.

In 1861 John Snr. Is living with the Cyfus family who I believe are related but this also remains unproven at the moment. (Sarah died 1859. John Snr. died 1867).

On the ‘scanned image’ of the 1841 census page, for John Goodway Snr. there is another John Goodway B. 1811, (and Hannah). John is an Ag. Lab. who was not born in Gloucestershire, plus a William Goodway B. 1816 in Oxfordshire who is a painter. With him is Luisa, B. 1811, a John Goodway B. 1821, a sawyer, a Sarah Goodway B. 1821 and another John Goodway B. 1821, a carpenter. All born Oxfordshire!!!!!!!!!!! 

1851 there is a John Goodway, B. 1821 Oxfordshire and Sarah B. 1822 Warwickshire with their family at Chipping Norton. Thankfully this family have been excellent with recording names and birth years accurately each census year, but they are not mine.

My thoughts are now turning to the possibility that Robert Goodway, B. 1823 at Great Rissington, could be mine and I find myself asking if he was John Robert or Robert John and interchanging these names? I would so much like to progress this family line but even the more experienced FH researchers in my family haven’t cracked this riddle.

Going back to your information I find it a little hard to see how a John Goodway, baptised Jul. 1820 s/o John & Sarah could be followed by Edward baptised 30 Apr 1821. This isn’t impossible but there is only 9 months between these 2 children. However, being baptised 9 months apart doesn’t mean they were only born 9 months apart. I would also have expected to see him at home in 1841.

Far too many people called John Goodway so the search continues but I am very grateful to you for the help you have given me as I will keep this information for future reference.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 October 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
John Goodway jr and Robert Goodway are separate individuals.  They both marry Pater women; Robert and Susan at 10 March 1845 at Highworth, Wiltshire. Robert Goodway f/a bachelor of Highworth, blacksmith, s/o John Goodway, wheeler.
Susan Pater 18 spinster of Highworth d/o Thompson Pater, sawyer. witnesses are John Goodway and Mary Edwards.

John and Charlotte 8 July 1850 at Taynton, Oxfordshire.  John Goodway f/a, bachelor of Taynton, carpenter s/o John Goodway, carpenter.
Charlotte Pater f/a spinster of Taynton, d/o Thompson Pater, sawyer.  Witnesses are Robert and Susan Goodway.

Offline Kay Emm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
With your very kind help I have felt confident to use the information you have given me to put my tree in order and have been able to add other branches. Thank you very much.