Author Topic: Fam Hist sites advice  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FAM HIST SITES ADVICE
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 October 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
I have just finished a Three Month subscription to Find My Past and in that time I extracted all the information I wanted.  I did not find it a particularly useful site to belong to, the filtering is poor and the Newspapers simply did not provide the results that I knew where available online elsewhere.  They are a miserly company who only give minor discounts and certainly IMO they do not provide VFM.  I had a long conversation with a sales rep who could only offer the 15% discount and they failed to see that a £100 subscription is fair and reasonable, hence I will not be returning to FindMyPast.

My Heritage, I have a one year subscription which I only took out for DNA and for the DNA tools that they have, searching and the hints I find poor.   This subscription will not be renewed.

Ancestry works for us.  We have been with them since 2012 and the sheer size of their DNA database means that it is the Must Have site if you are going to take a DNA test as theirs is in reality the Industry Standard.  My annual Worldwide subscription is only £89 and I believe a UK only can be found for about £60/65 via the available discounts.

If you have not done so then I suggest that you look to have your Family Tree on software such as Roots Magic, Family Historian or Family Tree Maker.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 October 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
 :o  Crikey Biggles you have a Worldwide Ancestry annual sub for only £89!  Mine is £179.99   :-\

CD

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 October 23 23:02 BST (UK) »
:o  Crikey Biggles you have a Worldwide Ancestry annual sub for only £89!  Mine is £179.99   :-\

CD
There are a few chats in the Common Room about Ancestry discounts after your subscription expires, such as

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832955.msg7418262#msg7418262
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 October 23 16:13 BST (UK) »
Also remember family history societies and their publications and online databases.

Hmmm... that sounds good. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe join the Somerset FHS and the Gwent FHS, the two counties where my studies are concentrated from about 1720 to 1930. Thank you.

Is there a FHS that has meetings near where you live, even if this isn't an area where you have ancestors, as by going along to their meetings (or over zoom if they do that) you will learn lots about how to do family history - it's not all online - and how others have solved brickwalls etc.

Is there a U3A family history group local to you as talking to others can give you ideas of how to progress.

Also have a look at the Family History Federation Explore Your Genealogy site as there are some useful leads in some of the articles there, and the site will continue to grow:
http://exploreyourgenealogy.com/

And sign up for the free FHF monthly email newsletter the Really Useful Bulletin https://www.exploreyourgenealogy.co.uk/bulletins
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Wulfsige

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 October 23 21:24 BST (UK) »
Also remember family history societies and their publications and online databases.

Hmmm... that sounds good. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe join the Somerset FHS and the Gwent FHS, the two counties where my studies are concentrated from about 1720 to 1930. Thank you.

Is there a FHS that has meetings near where you live, even if this isn't an area where you have ancestors, as by going along to their meetings (or over zoom if they do that) you will learn lots about how to do family history - it's not all online - and how others have solved brickwalls etc.

Is there a U3A family history group local to you as talking to others can give you ideas of how to progress.

Also have a look at the Family History Federation Explore Your Genealogy site as there are some useful leads in some of the articles there, and the site will continue to grow:
http://exploreyourgenealogy.com/

And sign up for the free FHF monthly email newsletter the Really Useful Bulletin https://www.exploreyourgenealogy.co.uk/bulletins

Some good ideas here. Thank you.
Young, Gameson, Miles, Williamson, Cramond