Author Topic: Getting wrong page from index link  (Read 403 times)

Offline skiptr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Getting wrong page from index link
« on: Saturday 28 October 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
This is not a regular look-up request. I'd like others to try this look-up and see if you have the same problem I do.

I use Ancestry*com. I am having an issue with a census index link sending me to the wrong page. I had this come up once before, but was able to sift through 100s of pages to eventually find the correct one.

I am trying to pull up in 1861 Wales: John Roberts, b. 1797 in Pentraeth, Anglesey, living with his daughter, Susannah (1828 Bodedern) and grandson Richard Morris, in Bodedern.

I get this index result:
Piece   4370
Folio   31
Page number 10

When I click the link to view the image, it takes me to:
Piece 4370
Folio 20
Page number 8

This section of images ends at Folio 22 Page number 11, so I'm not able to just continue on until I get to Folio 31.

Does anyone else get the same thing?

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Getting wrong page from index link
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
If you search for piece 4370 folio 31 page10 does that take you to where you want to be?  It sometimes works with PRs, not come across it before on censuses though.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline skiptr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
No. It brings up the index with the correct info, but link still leads to same incorrect page.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:14 BST (UK) »
The record is indexed at FamilySearch at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7GK-2M8

Clicking "View Original Record" on the left gave a warning about going to TNA, but it actually took me straight to the image at FindMyPast. I have a sub there and happened to be still logged in, but I'm not sure what would happen if that wasn't the case.

(I also found the image at The Genealogist.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, got numbers round the wrong way, what I meant was if you search for the pc/fol/pg that you wrongly get taken to (or search for one of the people on that page), is the image returned the one with your John, Susannah & Richard?

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline skiptr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:29 BST (UK) »
Arthurk - I looked it up on FamilySearch also, just to make sure I was getting the same info. I don't have a sub at FindMyPast though, so I get a signup page if I attempt to view the image.

Jane - I just tried that and it sends me to Folio 9 Page 12. It does show the correct info in the index though!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
The images clearly exist, so the most likely explanation is that Ancestry have either omitted to upload that section, or there's an error in the links so that you can't get to it. You might be able to check for one kind of link error as follows:

Piece no. 4370 includes several parishes, listed in The National Archives catalogue at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3102402

Each parish generally consists of one or more enumeration districts; these are given on the introductory pages for each of them. From looking at the images at The Genealogist I can tell you that the part of Bodedern where John Roberts etc were living was ED 3c.

At Ancestry, when you've brought up the wrong image that they send you to, use the dropdown menus above the image to select each of the parishes in piece 4370 (from list at TNA), then check whether ED 3c has been assigned to any of them.

While doing this, it might also be worth skimming through the images for each ED looking for anything close to folio 31, as the different parts do sometimes get jumbled up. I did have a go at this myself but ran out of time, but I've a feeling I might have seen a few Bodedern pages randomly mixed up in another parish - not the ones you're looking for, though.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline skiptr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 23 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts. I arrived at the conclusion that the links on Ancestry are the issue. I had somewhat the same idea using the breadcrumb menu and started going through each district page by page looking for Piece 4370. So far I have found this:

Piece 4370
Bodedern, ALL, District 2b contains Folio 3 (tally sheet), Folio 6-12

Bodedern, ALL, District 3c contains Folio 13 Page 19, Folio 16-22 Page 11

Llanddeusant, ALL, District 5a contains Folio 30 Page 7, Folio 33 Page 13 & 14, Folio 35-37.

Llanddeusant, ALL, District 6c contains Folio 38 Page 4, Folio 44-48

Llanfigael and Llanllibio, ALL, District 4a contains Folio 23 Page 13, Folio 26-29

I don't know how much time I'll have to continue on this, but I plan to keep a list and if I figure out where the hidden pages are I will report it to Ancestry.

Thank you Arthurk!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 23 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Great minds and all that  ;)  Good luck!