Author Topic: Soldier - John Rudd  (Read 240 times)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier - John Rudd
« on: Saturday 11 November 23 04:49 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there are any records available for soldiers in the early 1800's. I am interested to find out any information on John Rudd. He was a Quarter Master in the 7th Hussars. He died in 1836 in Nottingham.
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier - John Rudd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 23 06:37 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives would be the first place to look:

These records might relate:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13321827
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9090336

(The 7th Hussars seems to have been also referred to at times as the 7th Dragoons e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Queen%27s_Own_Hussars )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 23 08:03 GMT (UK) »
The form for the widows pension for wife Elizabeth is on Findmypast, which indicates John died in 1835 (26th of Dec).  Shows their wedding date, and her address, and that he was quartermaster in the 7th Hussars.

There might be more for him there, but there are 65 entries for John Rudd's.....BUT !  Findmypast is free this weekend, so check it out!

I don't think their newspapers are free this weekend though.... her obit is in there (1839) which indicates she was the widow of John, Quartermaster of the 7th Hussars, and left 5 orphans.

Give a shout if you can't find it!

Edit: Assuming they let you open the image for the Widows Pension Form, and not just give the transcript,  keep clicking the right arrow to see the next images, which is a certified copied of their marriage, and her burial record.  Note that on their marriage, he was said to be in the Dragoons, as explained by Jorose.

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 23 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jorose & bbart. It has been most helpful. I found the list of his children's names and it has confirmed to me that he was married twice.
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 23 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census should also have him and his battalion...   
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT