Author Topic: Unexpected grandmothers' surnames - expecting Swiney/Keys, got Foley/Lyons !?  (Read 745 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Unexpected grandmothers' surnames - expecting Swiney/Keys, got Foley/Lyons !?
« on: Wednesday 15 November 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
We have a couple, Patrick Swiney (shoemaker, 24) and Margaret Keys (servant, 22) both of Mulberry, Mitchelstown, Co Cork, married in the RC church there on 26 May 1868.

Marriage: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11462/8212609.pdf

The couple have 12 children between 1869 and 1888. Although one or two of the birth registrations give the mother's surname as Keays or Hayes we're fairly certain that it's the same couple, mainly because the chances of there being more than one shoemaker named Patrick sweeney married to a Margaret living in Mulberry, Mitchelstown, Co Cork are slim, and all the births seem to fit together sensibly.

On the civil birth registrations of Edward the informant is grandmother Margaret Foley.

Edward's 1882 birth: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1882/02779/2020335.pdf

On the civil birth registrations of John and Martin the informant is grandmother Margaret Lyons

John's 1883 birth: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02710/1997792.pdf
Martin's 1886 birth: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02589/1956777.pdf

That's the puzzle - surely the names of the two grandmothers should be Swiney and Keys, not Foley and Lyons ?

Does anybody have any possible explanations ?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected grandmothers' surnames - expecting Swiney/Keys, got Foley/Lyons !?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 15:18 GMT (UK) »
An interesting addition to this conundrum is that the name Margaret Lyons also appears in a US document where we're expecting Margaret Keys - 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected grandmothers' surnames - expecting Swiney/Keys, got Foley/Lyons !?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Grandmothers have remarried?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 23 04:12 GMT (UK) »
The Edward in 1882.
He was baptized in April 1882 as Edmond, with father Bartholomew.
Mother Margaret Keys.
Make of that what you will.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 23 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is that Patrick or Margaret may have been illegitimate, such that the father and mother's surnames were not the same.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The Edward in 1882.
He was baptized in April 1882 as Edmond, with father Bartholomew.
Mother Margaret Keys.
Make of that what you will.
Where did you find that ? The Mitchelstown RC Parish baptism registers at the NLI only go up to May 1881.
The Mulberry, Mitchelstown civil birth registrations of all twelve children give the father as Patrick Swiney/Sweeny/Sweeny (shoemaker) and mother as Margaret Keys/Keayes/Keays/Hayes(for James). Bartholomew sounds like maybe a (bad) clerical error ?

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Grandmothers have remarried?

Remarriage is definitely a possibilty since both grandfathers were deceased at the 1868 marriage. However, I've had no luck in tracking down such a remarriage in either the civil or RC parish records - I've searched for Keys or Sweeney civil/RC marriages to Foley or Lyons, including various spellings, anywhere in Ireland, between 1845  and 1868, but found nothing.

Another possibility that I'd considered was that the grandmothers may have reverted to using their  maiden names after the deaths of their husbands, but I think this would have been very unusal in those days. And I can find no RC parish marriages between Patrick Sweeney or John Keys and Margaret Lyons or Margaret Foley before 1845 anywhere in Ireland.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I was also going to suggest reversion to maiden names, or no marriage had happened, but lack knowledge of how unusual that was in Ireland.  It definitely happened to some people I was looking at in Scotland.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 November 23 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is that Patrick or Margaret may have been illegitimate, such that the father and mother's surnames were not the same.

That's a possibility I hadn't considered and gives me a few other possible name combinations to search for.