Author Topic: The Cross Keys Pub, Horn Hill, Rickmansworth  (Read 528 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: The Cross Keys Pub, Horn Hill, Rickmansworth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 November 23 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I spotted a couple of newspaper articles on Findmypast which appear to refer to your George Holloway.  I don't currently have a subscription to Findmypast so I can't view the original newspaper reports to see the full article, but I have posted below the slightly garbled OCR text snippet from the free search. 

If you don't have a Findmypast sub, maybe a kind Rootschatter could look up the original images for you.

Herts Advertiser, St Albans, Hertfordshire. 7 March 1903.
LICENCES OBJECTED TO. Co. Superintendent Wood gave evidence. He sad that the Cross Keys was a fully-licensed 1 too re. The ore lent tenant. George Holloway, entered the house on July 20th, 1897. It was a email house, with one front door, taproom. and a parlour, used for licensing

Herts Advertiser, St Albans, Hertfordshire. 22 July 1905.
RICKMAHSVORTH. Servioga Drunken Person A .NEW LANDLORD'S CASE. Tuesday, the Watford Petty Swaiom, oase was heard (before Mr. J. F. of the beer, which was the essence of the whole thing. George Holloway, the landlord, then gave his version of the affair, and denied that he served Childs: he served Goddard. Elisabeth Holloway, defendant’s wife, said she drew a pint of beer. Twopence
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Cross Keys Pub, Horn Hill, Rickmansworth
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 November 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jool

Thank you for posting those. I haven't got a findmypast login so if anyone else does it would be interesting to see those articles. The 2nd one mentioned my great great grandmother Elizabeth Holloway née Pinnegar, and I must admit I had never taken her as a barmaid or landlord's wife! It would be interesting to see how she looked, George too.

My late mother, bless her, was a Holloway and I wonder if there is, or was, a family resemblance?

Sleep well every one

Fanflame
Edgeley, Edgley, Dwight, Holloway, Pinnegar, Clark