Author Topic: Civil war - 10th Wisconsin infantry transport from Milwaukee WI to Louisville KY  (Read 269 times)

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello
I have an ancestor who was part of this unit and killed at the battle of Chickamauga, Ga.
Notes on the regiment indicate that they mustered in at Milwaukee on the 14 Oct 1861 then moved to Louisville Kentucky 9-11 Nov. that year.
Would these troops have been transported by rail or would they have had to go overland on foot to their Louisville destination?.
the driving distance between these two locations today is  approx. 634 kms or 394 miles.
thank you
Suzanne

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war - 10th Wisconsin infantry transport from Milwaukee WI to Louisville KY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
thank you for that info
cheers
S

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war - 10th Wisconsin infantry transport from Milwaukee WI to Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 03:22 GMT (UK) »
What a find - the three articles you posted are a wealth of information thank you so much :) - I will go and look at the Lib. of Congress newspapers and see what else I can find - I have found other info there on the civil war and certain battles my ancestor was involved in but not in newspapers. I'm glad to see the humour in the last article as reading about this war can be at times quite depressing (just my opinion)
Cheers
S

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Well worth checking out the newspapers. I used a range of search keys under Advanced search using limiters (State, Date range) to reduce the number of hits.
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/#tab=tab_advanced_search

An 1850 map of the areea - click on "Antique Railroad Map" in blue to deliver a zoomable version
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01stp/

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen
See tips here, to avoid this:

Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
thank you once again -  I've had success this evening finding information on the regiment and reports on the various battles in the newspapers - quite interesting reading and amazing how quickly news was reported in the print media after the event occurred.
cheers
S