Author Topic: match lists -sorting linesto paternal and maternal  (Read 857 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
match lists -sorting linesto paternal and maternal
« on: Sunday 10 December 23 01:37 GMT (UK) »
  Hello.  Seems like this might go nowhere as it has an error message at the top re posting. 

But here is my question....

I have DNA through both Ancestry and MyHeritage and the Ancestry is uploaded to MyHeritage. 

I am currently looking at one of these matches as Ancestry has indicated that I have a 132cM  DNA connection. 

Looking at all the matches for this person and others, just about every one is connected in some way to the maternal side in my Grandmother"s sister's family.

This particular match  at present does not indicate that. I have been building a tree for them around what they have on their profile.

Would It be possible for this match to connect only to the paternal side of my grandmother's sister,  that being my Great Grandfather.  I would think that the MRCA would be beyond the this point.

Thanks for any ideas
 Essnell

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: match lists -sorting linesto paternal and maternal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 23 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Difficult to say with any significant degree of confidence.

Where Ancestry assigns a match to a particular parent’s side I have found them to be reasonably accurate but not 100%.  There have been a few of mine assigned incorrectly.

Irrespective of Ancestry assignments I have been using the custom Grouping option where for my matches where I have high confidence in them, Pink is Maternal and Light Blue is for Paternal, with matches that are linked to in my tree having the Star.

You are doing exactly what I do and sometimes it goes nowhere and it then becomes a waiting game.

I have written about it before but I have an NPE in my tree that took a long time to resolve, all because of a high cM match.  9 months ago another match of 178cM was displayed and via messaging I learned of his cM value that he shares with my own highest match.  What this boiled down to was that he had a close NPE in his tree that could be either their Father or more likely their Grandfather not being a biological relative, I have not the heart to tell them.

So do not discount that whilst all the documentation may exist there may be an NPE involved in your matches family.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 23 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biggles50, 
Thankyou for your thoughts.  NPE has crossed my mind. 
So far the tree is nothing like connecting to my own tree.However at some point someone was part of the line as there is a hyphenated surname with the suspect link. 
I also have a marriage record for one person where the father has the surname as one of his first names. 

It's actually confusing - so much so I couldn't even try putting anything on here.   :-\

Keeping digging and hoping. 
Essnell.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 23 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Taking a y-DNA resulted in me receiving hundreds of male only DNA matches, but in amongst them were a plethora of different surnames.

Not the single Family Surname one would expect but hundreds of different Surnames.

Amongst them is the Surname that I suspected and yes, I now have the NPE solved.

So five hundred years on my surname line is not accurately represented in my family tree it is genealogical only from the late 1800’s backwards since then it is biological all be it with the wrong surname.

Hence I am firmly of the opinion that you cannot rely on “paper” records for them being accurate as to parentage.

Keep options open would be my advice.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Biggles50.  I shall  and so my match will also have to. Maybe she will never know.

Essnell.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I am a bit confused by your last post.

A yDNA test can only be taken by a male, and it shows only the male to male to male DNA route.

Conversely an mtDNA test can be taken by both males and females and the results show the “child > mother > mother > mother” DNA route.   As a male I received my Mother’s X chromosome but I cannot pass it on to my children where my Sister would also receive our Mother’s X chromosome but she would pass it on to her children.

In earlier posts perhaps I should have been clearer, a yDNA test will only show which of your Paternal Great Grandfather’s the line goes.

If there are no matches then it is likely to be your Paternal Grandmother’s Father’s line, if there are matches then it is your Paternal Grandfather’s Father’s line where the MRCA is. 

There is a “but” in that if the route is via your Paternal Grandfather’s Mother’s line there will be no yDNA inheritance passed from her to your Grandfather.

DNA can make ones head hurt.

Hope this helps

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biggles50,
Thank you again for the reply.

All I meant was that I shall have to wait and be patient : and my Match whom I have contacted and received replies, will also have to wait and be patient.

I cannot offer any help to her which she has said would be appreciated as It all just too confusing.

Quote Biggles50
"If there are no matches then it is likely to be your Paternal Grandmother’s Father’s line, if there are matches then it is your Paternal Grandfather’s Father’s line where the MRCA is."

So this is on a yDNA.   What you said in that quote is exactly what I am thinking.   

My match would still match to all these people but from somewhere further back.

Okay.  More match lists to look at.
Cheers Essnell.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is the reason that I took the yDNA.

With zero Autosomal DNA matches on either of my two Paternal Great Grandfather’s lines my NPE was most probably with them or their Father’s.

yDNA showed it to be Paternal, Paternal that is the direct family name line.

Hence “I am not who I think I am”

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 23 19:34 GMT (UK) »

Conversely an mtDNA test can be taken by both males and females and the results show the “child > mother > mother > mother” DNA route.   As a male I received my Mother’s X chromosome but I cannot pass it on to my children where my Sister would also receive our Mother’s X chromosome but she would pass it on to her children.

I'm bit confused, as a male you don't pass mtdna as this is contained in the egg, you would  still pass your X chromosome from your mother to any daughters that you have?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk