Author Topic: CHARLES GABRIEL THOMPSON  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES GABRIEL THOMPSON
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 17 December 23 14:59 GMT (UK) »
And in 1928 she marries Alexander Mouat. As it was in Scotland, even had she been a widow or divorced, she would have married under her maiden name Thompson.
Strictly speaking, if she was widowed or divorced her marriage should have been indexed under both her maiden and her previous married surnames.

The absence of a previous married surnames, plus the possible mis-spelling of her mother's surname and perhaps the invention of a middle name for her father, might imply that she was not being entirely truthful.

Maybe she was also lying when she said she was from Birmingham?

I wonder how she accounted to her new husband for Beatrice? And where was Beatrice when her mother and stepfather first travelled to Canada?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 17 December 23 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Reply#16 & #17
Beatrice travelled to Canada on the same date & ship as Alexander & Phillipia - stated as her parents - she was listed on a different page of the manifest, with her aunt, Eva Thompson.

The 1931 Canada Census states her (Beatrice)  as born Scotland, which may or may not be true  ;)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 17 December 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I think we are on to something.

Beatrice never ever had a copy of her own borth certificate - Or at least she said she didn't. There's obviously a story here.
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 17 December 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Beatrice.
 We have conflicting birth dates on the 1939 register, and conflicting birth place (Birmingham and Scotland) in travel and census.
Forfarian has found Phoebe and husband Carrington in Edinburgh in 1922, so maybe the birth found by Ambly, under THOMSON surname in 1925 Newbattle is the one to look at first to see if that is correct. If not, then there is the other to try.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 December 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
It's NOT the one born in Newbattle in 1925 as her mothers maiden name was Ramsey.

So it must be the other one

McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 17 December 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »
It's NOT the one born in Newbattle in 1925 as her mothers maiden name was Ramsey.
No, indeed it's not.

There is a death of a Beatrice Thomson, aged 74, in Glasgow in 2000, mmn Ramsay. However her other surname was Glendinning. Beatrice Glendinning married Duncan Thomson in Glasgow in 1949, and Beatrice Glendinning, mmn Ramsay, was born in Glasgow in 1925.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 17 December 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian has found Phoebe and husband Carrington in Edinburgh in 1922
No, I didn't.

They were in Hull, not Edinburgh.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 17 December 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »

As to the address the MOUAT family returned to in 1936:

I can't find 13 Eaton Terrace and same, can only find this, which is outside of the Hoylake boundary on modern map:  Eaton Road, West Kirby, Wirral, Merseyside CH48.   On the maps, there can be seen nearby Devonport and Grosnevor Roads .   Murphy's Law or whatever it may be, but………..

Working backwards: 3 yrs later

13 Eaton Road, Birkenhead,  (Nearby streets were: Devonport, Grosnevor)
John Thompson  b 8 Apr 1883. Mixed General Shopkeeper
Harriet Thompson b 21 Jan 1881
John Thompson b 16 Mar 1914 General Labourer
Irene Thompson b 28 Apr 1921 (later Lewis) Shop Asst

I found a different 13 Eaton Road
And I am really sorry, I have a golf game so will have to get to this later if no one else does.

But meanwhile the husband was Frederick Taylor born 1883 and wife Elizabeth born 1888. There were several children.  Last night, I could not figure out who they were at all.  😀

John Thompson 23, Bachelor, Shop Assistant, of 84 St Arnaud St. Father: James Thompson, Grocer.

I don't know..............  ???

Charles of Norway & Hull’s father was Thomas Thompson (on the marriage cert which is on FindMyPast )

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 18 December 23 00:10 GMT (UK) »
So - back from golf  ;D, but not any further ahead.

the Eaton Road I found is at West Kirby and runs between Banks Road and Hilbre Road  parallel to Church Road.