Author Topic: Maximilian BALLARD 1700s - Cwmyoy  (Read 135 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Maximilian BALLARD 1700s - Cwmyoy
« on: Monday 18 December 23 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I have already placed a thread on the Warwickshire board and I'm searching for a marrige betwwen Maximilian BALLARD and his wife Sophia.

This is the Warwickshire thread, and, as you can see, I already have a good deal of information re Maximillian, his children and the death of his wife.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727620.new;topicseen#new

Maximillian BALLARD,  baptised Mancetter Warwickshire, on 10 November 1723 (parents Talbot Ballard & Mary)

His daughter, Margaret was baptised 1748 at Cwmyoy, as were subsequent children living in Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire from 1748, until his (probable) death in 1781. Before the baptism of his daughter in 1748 in Cwmyoy i can see no sign of him in Monmouthshire. Maximillian is a Ballard family name in Mancetter, Warwickshire in the 18th century.

The mother of his children is listed in Cwmyoy as "Sophia", and there is a burial for Sophia Ballard in Cwmyoy in 1783, with her will mentioning her son William Ballard so I'm happy that she is the mother of his children.

Thus, I'm looking for a marriage of Maximillian and Sophia around 1740-1747? I don't know where such a marriage might have taken place, nor a date although their daughter was baptised 1748.

I do have him on the Complete Book of Emigrants in bondage,  for stealing sheep at Cwmyoy- Sentenced Summer of 1761 and a pardon for this, 26 Jan 1762.  I don't know if he was actually transported and then returned, and I don't see him on any UK convict lists.  He was certainly back in Cwmyoy by 1772 when he was a witness at his daughter's marriage.

I'd love to find the marriage with Sophia.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maximilian BALLARD 1700s - Cwmyoy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 23 21:40 GMT (UK) »
on the burial record, Sophia is noted as widow. Burial August 1781 in Cwmyoy for Maximillian Ballard - entry is quite faded.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maximilian BALLARD 1700s - Cwmyoy
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Osprey. 

As Sophia's will mentions her son William, and William's baptism record shows his father as Maximillian I'm happy that Sophia is Max's wife but I just can't find a marriage for them.  I have no information for Sophia at all before the baptism of their first child, Margaret, in 1748 at Cwmyoy.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk