Author Topic: Death by Poison Covered Up?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death by Poison Covered Up?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I think that is her death.  Astonishing to think her mother allowed the error in her name to go uncorrected.  Christina's belongings were returned to her as it states in the inquest documents.  There is also a comment from the coroner that basically says it would help if it wasn't reported as a suicide.  Nowhere does it say she was pregnant.
Ashert, Donkin, Stoker, Stogdale

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 December 23 02:15 GMT (UK) »
I think that is her death.  Astonishing to think her mother allowed the error in her name to go uncorrected.  Christina's belongings were returned to her as it states in the inquest documents.  There is also a comment from the coroner that basically says it would help if it wasn't reported as a suicide.  Nowhere does it say she was pregnant.

She wasn't.
Look at page 9 of the inquest.
The report from Surgeon Crawford Henry Mollison who conducted an autopsy on the body.

The third last line.
quote-
'The genital areas were virginal in appearance'

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 December 23 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sue.  I couldn't actually read the coroner's writing!  I wonder what the motive for the suicide was...very sad.  Fascinating, also.  I am really grateful for this expert help.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 December 23 02:16 GMT (UK) »
You have "green ticked" this thread meaning you do not wish to have further informaton.

Is that  correct?

There will be more to find about Christiana, the mother, and others involved, but maybe you feel your query is settled sufficiently??
Sue

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 December 23 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, I ticked 'complete' because my specific query about Christina was resolved.  I've done a lot of work on Christiana and her children but my research is far from complete I'd be the first to admit.
Problems I've experienced include particularly their travel movements from UK to New Zealand (1905) then Tasmania (1909) then Australia (1910-11).  They seem to use a lot of different names including Whitfield, I'Anson, Oldbury, Maydwell.  I'm told they went by the name North in Tasmania.
I have a particular interest in Christiana's daughter Irene b. 1888 - I didn't know if I should start a new topic for her?  She remains a life-long spinster and appears not to work ['home duties' in the electoral rolls] but always seems to have plenty of money.  How is what I wonder?
I will alter the status of the topic and see what happens.  Thank you for your interest and support for my research. Jo

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,
I would continue on with this thread for Irene, as there will be overlaps of information.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - will do.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Irene Whitfield Oldbury lived at  1 Fitzroy St Killara in 1943 and 1949. (Electoral roll NSW).

In 1945 there was a death at that address for Newton Reed Johnston  late of Christ Church NZ. He had been the widower of Victoria Mary and 3 sons are mentioned in his death notice. Victoria Mary died in NZ about 1906.

Looking at the NZ Electoral Rolls.. From 1914 Irene Whitford I'anson lived with Newton Johnson at his addresses in Canterbury NZ and stated spinster.

She last voted in NZ in 1938 at their shared address of 2 Gwynfe Ave.

From her first  E.Roll registration in Australia, her surname changed to Oldbury.

She died in 1951. Death Notice
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18235799

She was the ex-nuptial child of Christiana (nee Whitfield) born 1885 EDIT 1888 and on the 1891EDIT 1901 UK  census she is with William I'anson and Christiana and is listed as a daughter. Along with Anthony, another of Christiana's pre-marriage births.

Birth
WHITFIELD, Athony Atkinson    - 
GRO Reference: 1887  Sept AUCKLAND.  MMS -
Volume 10A  Page 171

He died in Australia with the surname Maydwell-

MAYDWELL Anthony Atkinson
Mother Christina WHITFIELD
Father  IANSON William
At MYRTLEFORD
Aged 69
1956/23829/

Irene must have visited England and is recorded returning to Aust in 1939
https://www.ancestry.com.au/discoveryui-content/view/66909:5378

Sue

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 December 23 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Sue
I'm speechless.  Thank you for solving my long-time Irene puzzle.  Hats off to your amazing research skills and thank you RootsChat for existing to help us hapless researchers.  ;D
Jo