Author Topic: Where do I go next?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where do I go next?
« on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the name of my ancestor, he married in 1807, he was a last maker and that is it nothing else. A kind member produced a list of William Knight but how to go about finding out which may be the person I am looking for. I have his children etc. I know his wife's name and that is it nothing more.
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I go next?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 23 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I see from previous threads that other chatters are finding most of your information for you .

From the number of posts made you obviously know by now that there was a naming pattern and from the naming patterns used by families the important names for paternal lines are first male son, second female daughter gives names of the groom's parents, the bride's parents are named in the first baby girl and second baby son

Anyne with a trade, such as a cobbler, must have money in the family because a father had to pay for an offspring's apprenticeship.  The government taxed that money which is why there should be a record somewhere..

The only "Last" that I've heard of is a "shoe Last" that cobblers used.  They're very heavy.  I used to have one too, until it was stolen for it's cast iron value.

It had been passed down through the generations and it was used to hold a shoe upside down so that you could hammer metal stegs into the heels and toes on boys boots and later on to hold a shoe steady so that you could stick a leather "stick on" sole to the sole of the shoe. 

url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01svt/

I've never had a pair of "bespoke" shoes made especially to fit my feet but here's a description:-

"Bespoke shoes or custom shoes are shoes made especially for a certain customer by a shoemaker. The feet are measured and a wooden last for each foot is created. At the fitting, the customer tries the prototype pair of shoes made in an inexpensive leather and the shoemaker checks if anything needs to be changed.

https://www.clothhouse.com/products/shoe-lasts-large

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at the original marriage record for him in Millbrook, to see the names of the witnesses to the marriage?

There is a William Knight death registered in 1844 in Southampton. Aged 71. Vol 07, page 138. registered in the September quarter.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:50 GMT (UK) »
A shoe Last can also be a wooden former, often shaped and adjustable to match a specific persons foot.

A Cordwainer, a maker of fine shoes, would have wooden lasts made specifically to match a regular clients feet.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 23 08:23 GMT (UK) »

Anyne with a trade, such as a cobbler, must have money in the family because a father had to pay for an offspring's apprenticeship. 

Not always,  my gt grandfather was apprenticed to this trade. He was illegitimate and born in the workhouse. His mother died when he was 3 and he was still in the workhouse age 9.  His apprenticeship was mentioned in newspapers when he fell out with his Master.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 23 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at the original marriage record for him in Millbrook, to see the names of the witnesses to the marriage?

There is a William Knight death registered in 1844 in Southampton. Aged 71. Vol 07, page 138. registered in the September quarter.

See the previous threads as posted by  jc26red.  The witnesses were Sarah COGWELL and James MARTIN.

Is this the correct order of births?

Rachel (born 8 Jan 1809)
Jabez James (born 14 Jan 1812)
William (born 9 June 1814)
Hannah (born 31 March 1816)
Benjamin (born 29 Jun 1825)
Rebecca (baptised 17 Oct 1826)
Janet (born 1 Oct 1826)

Jabez, William, Hannah and Janet were entered into the birth registers of the Above Bar Chapel.  I cannot see an original image for Benjamin but transcriptions have two dates, 29 June and 8 July, presumedly birth and baptism.  I do wonder if Janet and Rebecca are the same child.  There is a very large gap between Hannah and Benjamin.

Debra  :D

Online Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 23 09:28 GMT (UK) »
My late Dad used to say a well mannered cobbler was a gentleman to the last..
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Go Next Wiliam Knight, born I believe in Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 December 23 12:03 GMT (UK) »
There is an apprenticeship for a William Knight in 1790 to Thomas King, a patten maker of Portsea.  Unfortunately no indication of William's parentage or place of origin. 

This might fit with your William's age and it is possible that William went on to last making as well.

To assist others, the reference for the 1841 census is HO107/417  Book 6/35 p 22.  William was recorded as born in county.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk