Author Topic: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma  (Read 1141 times)

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello;

If there is any missing information that is a wall for my father's Ulster tree, it has been trying to find the name of the woman who my 2nd Great Grandfather David Ruddell of Armagh married.
The closest hint I have is an old letter from to our father from Rev. David Frederick Ruddell Wilson of St. Patrick's Church of Dublin about his mother Letitia Wilson being raised as a young girl at Peacefield by David and Sarah after Letitia's family circumstances changed.
No siblings of David are named Sarah so that name has to be David's wife
There are several David Ruddell's and marriage to spouses in that same time and area, but I have ruled out several after research.
The David Ruddell of Peacefield lived in several residences and both owned, co-owned and rented  quite a bit of farmland and properties.
Residences included Ballynacor , Tamnaficarbet , Aghnacloy and of course Peacefield
David Ruddell's parents grave marker is at Seagoe Cemetery and there is a sharp image of it shown at the Lurgan ancestry web site. I visited the cemetery with our family in 1959 aged 8 and viewed the marker. His sister and brother are also buried in the family plot there
There is severe weathering that has rendered some marker's inscription unreadable.
Reading through David's will's many pages mentions the mother of their only child John Ruddell 1855-1906, but no name
I cannot locate any marriage record despite looking and wonder if she was not from the area and the wedding took place elsewhere in the UK ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 23 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi KR500

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

When did David Ruddell die? Was it 1896? A possible death registration that year in Lurgan, where son John was living, https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05902/4674760.pdf

If this is his death, he showed as a bachelor. Maybe there is no marriage to be found? Did John inherit from his father before his death in 1906?

Have you got a list of the children born to John and his wife Eliza McClatchey? Just wondered whether they would have named one of their daughters after his mother? Children that I can see:

c. 1877-8 Lily - death notice at the age of 7 in 1885. Also www.findagrave.com/memorial/140632473/lily-ruddell
1881 David  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1882/02798/2026964.pdf
1882 Samuel
1884 Emily https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02706/1996433.pdf
1886 Lily - died a few months after birth
1887 John https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02542/1941059.pdf
1890 Adeline - died a couple of years later
1892 Caroline https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02351/1878903.pdf

Sure you have these  ;) Just adding now for background and to help with searches.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 23 23:16 GMT (UK) »

If this is his death, he showed as a bachelor. Maybe there is no marriage to be found? Did John inherit from his father before his death in 1906?

I see from the photo of the grave, and the inscription you mentioned, that David Ruddell did die in 1896. So he did not marry in his lifetime it seems from his death registration which showed him as a bachelor at the time of death at the age of 83.

Will make John's baptism harder to find likely.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to locate Marriage information David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Armagh
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 24 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post and welcoming me to the forum

:)

I had never seen the the death certificate for David Ruddell before and you are correct that it shows he is listed as bachelor status. Thank you for your sharing that with me !
This is really interesting to me as John Ruddell, my great grandfather who passed in 1906 was the only child of David.
In David Ruddell’s 21 page Will online, there is a mention of the “mother” of John. No name though.
David was a leader in the Methodist Church, very pious and he left his family members portions of his estate including a niece, Letitia who grew up on the Peacefield Estate in the care of David after her mother and David’s sister Hester passed away when Letitia was a baby and her father Thompson Ferris moved to Australia
David also left something in his Will to Bridget Malone, his housekeeper in Lurgan who probably helped him with his business and office I’m thinking
I wonder if  David was raising John as his child, a death during a family members child birth or medical crisis ?
Lots of possibilities
It seems odd that David Ruddell Senior was born in 1813 as his parents would have been in their fifties
My grandfather John Ruddell inherited Peacefield as a very young man during the turbulent times of Ulster 1916-1919 and lost it due to poor legal advice and possibly decisions.
Following that is the time of disrepair mentioned in the Newspaper story about the sale

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
The Belfast Newsletter, June 15th 1832
At Seago on the 6th Inst,
By The Rev S Foote
John Turtle Esq of Aghalee to
Emily daughter of David Ruddle esq of Peacefiled Co Armagh
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 24 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter,May 14 th 1833
On Friday the 10th
In Segoe Church ,by the Rev Mr Foote,
Mr Thomson Ferris of Glenavy Co Antrim to
Miss Hess Ruddle ,daughter of David Ruddle ,of Peacefield Co Armagh esq
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 24 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Freemans Journal Dublin
May 3rd 1839
on the 24 th Ult at Seagoe Church
John Langtry of Cherry Mount near Lurgan to
Elizabeth daughter of David Ruddle of Peacefield County Armagh

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
From the family grave at Seagoe Cemetery, the inscription gives the following dates for David's parents (working from their age and year of deaths):

David Ruddell Snr 1758 - 1843 (aged 85 at death)
Letitia Locke 1768 - 1858 (aged 90 at death)
www.findagrave.com/memorial/140618367/letitia-ruddell

Letitia would have been in her mid forties when she gave birth to son David c. 1813. There was a last born, Elizabeth (mentioned by Radcliff above in her marriage notice) born c.1816.

Monica