Author Topic: Lindsay and Ross  (Read 347 times)

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lindsay and Ross
« on: Monday 01 January 24 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Happy New year to all

Dear All

Agnes Jamieson Ross born 18 December 1902 in Galston, Ayr.  Her parents were Daniel Ross and Agnes Retson.  Agnes Jamieson Ross married on the 22 January 1930 in Darvel, Ayr to William Lindsay.  William Lindsay was born on the 20 September 1900 in Loudoun, Ayr, his parents were William Lindsay and Margaret Speirs. 

I looking for the deaths for Agnes and William Lindsay and their whereabouts.

Thank you
Oletta

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay and Ross
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Did they perhaps die outside Scotland?

There's no death of Agnes Ross or Lindsay born 1902 plus or minus three years in the deaths index at SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 16:49 GMT (UK) »
There’s a death for Agnes Lindsay or Ross registered in Martha St regn district, Glasgow in 1984. Aged 84 and mother’s maiden name McDonald.  GROS Ref 609/707. The age isn’t absolutely right and the mother’s maiden name is wrong but sometimes mistakes got recorded on death certificates because the informant got the information wrong. Like Forfarian, I don’t see any other death in Scotland that fits the information you have.

If you get a copy of that certificate it should give you more information eg husband’s details which may help you. If it is the correct lady, the certificate will tell you whether her husband was still alive and that in turn narrows the search for him.
Elwyn

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 24 16:53 GMT (UK) »
It's actually registered in 1982, aged 84, which is 4 years out, and hence why it didn't come up in my previous search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.  I have had a look on Scotlands people, I can see the death you both have mentioned and have tried to obtain it, but it tells me that I am unable to as there is no image and certificate not available.  So does that mean there is a time limit on the years you are able to get via the computer?

Regards
Oletta

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 24 17:14 GMT (UK) »
You can order a copy from Martha St:

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=18553

Sorry about the mistake over the year.
Elwyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Oletta, you will be able to order online a copy of the registration from 3 January. Scotlands People's offices have been closed for the holidays.

There is a banner at the top of their pages which reads currently:

All of our offices and on-site services/search rooms are closed until 09:00 GMT on Wednesday 3rd January 2024.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.  I have had a look on Scotlands people, I can see the death you both have mentioned and have tried to obtain it, but it tells me that I am unable to as there is no image and certificate not available.  So does that mean there is a time limit on the years you are able to get via the computer?
No.

As Monica says, it means that the system for ordering certificates is temporarily suspended during the New Year holidays. It should be possible to order them online as usual after they go back to work tomorrow,

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear All

Thank you very much for all the information and also how to order certificates

Regards
Oletta