Author Topic: Accuracy of Poor Law Records  (Read 195 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Accuracy of Poor Law Records
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there ,

Sorry but I'm back here again looking for some advice on tracing my GGG Grandma , I've had some great help before here  and just looking to see if anybody can throw some light onto some seeming contradictions that I've found.

I've previously asked help to the find the death of Isabella McKenzie who was born in Lochcarron somewhere between 1812-1817.she married Alexander Mckenzie and had 9 children , 7 who lived long enough to find records of who were Christy (1842) , William (1846), Mary (1848) , Donald &  Duncan (twins 1851) and Alexander 1855 . The family lived in Annat ,

I have found the 1861 census records for Annat and both parents are listed along with all children apart from Mary who I guess was in service somewhere . Alexander Senior then died on 23 June 1861 leaving Isabella as a widow with a young family .

There are two Poor Law record for Isabella, the first 16 August 1861 and is listed as 1st entry . Isabella is age 49 , her children are Mary (12) , Duncan & Donald(9) and Alexander (6) . This pretty much fits in with their years of birth and also with further evidence that I've found.

The second  (questionable) entry is six years later in 1867 and the children are now Mary (16) , Donald & Duncan(13), Alexander (10) . So the children have all aged 4 years in 6 years  ( I do have a copy of Alexander's birth certificate in 1855 so can confirm his  dob) .This second entry states that Isabella was struck off the Poor Law register on 4 August 1869.

So I have been looking for isabella's death between  either the second Poor Law entry in 1867 (or more likely the striking off date in 1869) and her daughter Mary's wedding in Dec 1871 where Isabella is marked as deceased. But whilst searching on Scotlands People I have found the following ....
First a death certificate which I am pretty sure is for Isabella's son Donald on 5 Feb 1862. It is for a Donald McKenzie in Annat , age 11, Father Alexander (Fisherman decd) , Mother Isabella (maiden name Mclennan which isn't right), informant brother William .  Apart from the maiden name which I guess William could have made a mistake with then it is all spot on .

Secondly I have found a death certificate for Isabella McKenzie , Annat  , Widow, 24 January 1864 , Parents Donald Mckenzie & Mary McRae, informant son Duncan .
Annat was a small village and I did go all the way through the records on the 1861 census to see if there were other Isabellas and Donalds which is where the confusion is but there was only  a much younger Isabella , and a Donald who had a mum called Mary . I guess they could have moved into the hamlet after the census but not sure of the chances of a Donald also born is 1851 with parents  also called Alexander & Isabella and a brother called William !

Sorry this is so long winded , and thank you for hopefully sticking to the end , but does this look like incorrect Poor Law recording or just a coincidence ? How could Donald have died in 1862 but be listed in 1867 as alive , and likewise with Isabella who possibly died in 1864 ! I would love any views and opinions as I just can't go forward with so much doubt . And how would I verify the records or would that involve a trip to Inverness ?

Thanks again , and I really hope this all makes sense :-)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of Poor Law Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Might it be that the question on the poor law application was misunderstood and Donald's name was added even though he was deceased?

I note there is a death in the SP index for an Isabella Mackenzie in Shieldaig RD in 1869. Age is given as 55 and mmn as Mackenzie. Have you considered that one?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi William ,

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen the 1869 Shieldaig record and it is  for an unmarried lady from Kishorn . I did wonder if it had been recorded incorrectly but then found a newspaper article on FindMyPast which reports the death and it is sadly a different Isabella .

I have searched everywhere for Isabella's death with no luck which is why I'm wondering if the Poor Law dates were all wrong . I am just hoping I guess for an answer to the mystery.

Becky

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Is it the Poor Law records on FindMyPast which you have looked at?

I found the attached on the Old Scottish site for Applecross Parish. There seems to be a record for widow Bell Mackenzie from 1864 ( and one for an Isabella Mackenzie from 1869). Obviously cannot be sure that this is your Isabella. Might these contain more detail?

https://www.oldscottish.com/applecross.html

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes , thank you , I'll have a look at those .

I also have the book of Poor Law Records for Applecross which are identical to the FindMyPast records.

Becky