Author Topic: Mary Gibson.  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gibson.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:27 GMT (UK) »
In the 1850 census John Gibson and family  were living in Stafford Ohio
By the 1860 census John and family had moved to Morris, Grundy County, Illinois

John GIBSON (Junior) died 8 Nov 1784 in Morris, Grundy County Illinois
His wife Catherine died 1865
They were buried in Evergreen Cemetery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/89028246/john-gibson
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Children of John GIBSON and Mary STEEL(E)
Baptised Biggar (Lanarkshire)
•   John GIBSON (Junior) 20 July 1784 (born 10 July)
Baptised Kilbucho, (Peebleshire)
•   David GIBSON 20 Feb 1786
•   Jean / Jane GIBSON 2 April 1788
•   Alexander GIBSON 23 Feb 1790
•   James GIBSON 2 July 1794
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for a John Gibson in 1784 Biggar, Lanarkshire to parents John Gibson and Mary Steel.
This is possibly the same John Gibson who travelled to New York in 1804 (age 19).
Also possibly same John Gibson (merchant) in the 1850 census, Stafford Ohio, with wife Catherine (born 1792 Virginia), and children James (b 1827 Ohio - Dentist), Jane (b 1825 Ohio), William (b 1830 Ohio).
There is a marriage in 1814 in Frederick Virginia for John Gibson to Catherine Crum.

Nice finds, Neale1961. I did see that 1850 census record for John Gibson, but dismissed it. I presumed "merchant" may have meant the local grocery proprietor.  ::)

1860: John's occupation is "Gentleman". This fits in with Josiah Gibson, the Methodist Minister in Illinois.

Daughter Jean Gibson Oliver died in 1918 in Illinois. Parents names: John Gibson (born Scotland) and Catherine Crum (born Virginia).

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Crum marriage 14 July 1814 in Frederick Virginia to John Gibson
Her father is named as Christian Crum

From A Crum Family in America by Ferris B. Crum
"Christian Crum Sr. and his twin brother, Henry, were probably born about 1748 in Germany. Their father, Anthony Crum Sr., migrated to America about 1753 and settled first in Pennsylvania and a few years later in Frederick County, Virginia. Christian and Henry accompanied their father to America, grew to manhood in Pennsylvania, and moved to Frederick County, Virginia about the same time as their father.
Christian married Christiana Schmidt in Pennsylvania; Henry married Modlena (Mary Magdelena) --?__. They are shown as Heads of Families in the First Census of the U.S. Christian is shown as having six whites in his family and no negroes; Henry as having four whites and no negroes. Christian died Sept. 30, 1820; Henry in 1819. These men were famous Ministers, and associated with the early history of the United Brethren Church, or the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are frequently mentioned in the early histories of the U.B. Church, and in Asbury's History of Methodism.
Lawrence in his History of the United Brethren Church 28 quotes Henry Smith as follows: 'The Crums, Christian and Henry, I knew from my boyhood. They were our neighbors. They were twin brothers, and so much alike in early life that it was difficult to tell them apart. They were raised, I believe, in the German Reformed Church. They prayed and preached in the German. In the work of the ministry, Christian took the lead, and always kept it. I shall never forget the good and fatherly advice he gave me when I was yet a wily boy, and the impression it made on my youthful mind They both became itinerants. Christian travelled pretty extensively, and was an acceptable and useful preacher. O revere his memory. He was much beloved. Henry was a good man and useful. His house was open to the English (Methodist) as well as German (United Brethren) preachers.' Telling of a church service on Nov. 20, 1803, Smith said: 'Brother C. Crum spoke also, and it pleased God to accompany the word with power, and many cried aloud for mercy.' Henry, and his wife, Modlena, on Nov. 17, 1817 conveyed to certain trustees thirty-two poles of land for the erection of a Methodist Church.

#The major portion of this account was supplied by Judge Donald L. Lybarger. Crum, Ferris B., PhD.

"Christian Crum Sr. (5001) and Henry Crum (5002)," A Crum Family in America, Revised. [no publication information], 1965. p. 409.

Added -
https://www.amazon.com.au/Crum-Family-Concerning-Descendants-Frederick/dp/1015215726

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I believe the Gibson family were involved with the Underground Railroad. Illinois had numerous UR stations, including Joliet, where Josiah lived and preached in 1860. In 1870 he's in Marion, Shelby, Illinois. Then in Effingham in 1880.

In 1850 Josiah was living in Columbiana, Ohio, a county that was also involved with the Underground Railroad. His wife Elvira's surname may be Ebbert (as per one of their children's marriage records).

Note: When one of Josiah's sons married he named his father as "Jonah Gibson" which takes us back to the details dalek39 gave at the start of this thread.

Indeed they are a fascinating activist family. They made a real difference in the world.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 February 24 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Ashtone..Neil. Maddy.   Just read the information you gave.  Terrific.  My friend has joined in   She’s a happy camper. 😁.  Thanks once again.  No doubt I’ll be back with something else.  🙄.  😘. Dalek.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 February 24 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Jackiemico. Don’t be shy to ask questions if you have any.