Author Topic: She fell off a step ladder  (Read 401 times)

Offline seamoon24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
She fell off a step ladder
« on: Monday 05 February 24 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm researching an ancestor named Zellah Finch nee Betteridge b1845 d1909. I've downloaded a death cert and she died by senile decay accelerated by a fall from a step ladder in her son's house in Brassington Derbyshire. It says an inquest was held. There is a downloadable spreadsheet that provides an index for the articles in the Derbyshire Times from 1900 to 1919 and shows that the inquest was reported on 06/03/1909 Page 8. I've searched the British Newspaper Archive using all the search terms I can think of and although the Archive includes the Derbyshire Times I don't get any hits. Is there a knack to using this archive - can anyone help.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: She fell off a step ladder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 24 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I can see a detailed account of the inquest into the death of "Zillah" Finch on page 8, column 2, of The Ashbourne News, 5th March 1909.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 24 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I found it, the name Zillah has been slightly mistranscribed, because there is a printing error over her name.

I found it by searching for 'Finch'.

Then I used the filters on the left hand side to narrow it down to the county of Derbyshire.

Then I picked 1909.

Then I picked the right year, month etc.

Edit: I found it in the Derbyshire Times - Saturday 06 March 1909

The one GR2 found might be longer.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 24 16:30 GMT (UK) »
The account in the Derbyshire Times is only a paragraph. The account in The Ashbourne News is very long and detailed (the ladder she fell from gave access to her bedroom in her son Arthur's house - she was later moved to the workhouse at the doctor's suggestion and died there).

I have downloaded the page, so if you are unable to find it, send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send it off to you.

Offline seamoon24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your help. I've been using the advanced search on the BNA and it didn't produce any results. Using the menu down the left hand side is much better and gives results. I will go back through some of my past searches to see what I can find.