Author Topic: George WALKER - Wymeswold  (Read 244 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George WALKER - Wymeswold
« on: Monday 05 February 24 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on George Walker from Wymeswold, Nottinghamshire - born late 1800's (1877)........May have run the Butcher's shop in Wymeswold with his wife......no issue...May have had a brother Samuel who emigrated to America....

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George WALKER - Wymeswold
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 24 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Your post is very vague and lacking in any detail.
There is George W Walker working as a butcher in 1939 in West Bridgford.
Unless you have more detail about “your” George, there is no way on knowing if this is your man.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Just have an old photo/picture of George Walker born in the 1800's, which was given to us by my hubby's mother, Winifred Taylor nee Mabbott, born 18th May 1908 at 6 Glossop Terrace Meadows, Nottingham and passed away aged 89 in November 1997 - she told us to take care of it as he was a special relative of her mothers......(Sophia Getrude Mabbott nee Firman)....My hubby and I are both in our late 70's now and would like the photo to be given to someone who would appreciate it and maybe find a relative, instead of it being sent to the tip after we pass away....
......We have been in touch with the Wymeswold Parish Church, they will be taking it from us and wanted to know if we had any history of him.......We believe he ran a Butcher's shop in Wymeswold with his wife at some time and I am trying to find out any information I can get..........thankyou for your prompt reply     
Lynn M Taylor  .....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Wymeswold is in Leicestershire so I have asked the moderator to move your post to the Leicestershire board.

born in the 1800's,

The 1911 census has 2 entries for Leicestershire with an occupation of Butcher - George Harold Walker b 1880 & George Walker b 1895

You have no info as to his birthyear or birthplace & appear to be seeking living relatives to pass the photo to.  Rootschat has a strict no living persons policy to protect peoples privacy

Sophie Gertrude Firman was b 1873 in Nottingham so if George was a "special relative" you would have to research her FH to find a connection to George Walker then track George to find a marriage & children.

Given the timescale - to find living relatives could be very time consuming.

Have you checked the 1921 census or the 1939 register for him?

You could also try checking Trade Directories for him
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 24 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou ....