Author Topic: The extensive BARFOOT family  (Read 6799 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: The extensive BARFOOT family
« Reply #108 on: Saturday 20 April 24 03:28 BST (UK) »
The Emma BEND whose birth is registered in 1864 in the  Grantham Registration District (which included Bottesford) was baptised at Bottesford with parents Sansom BEND and Ann nee DENT (as noted by Ladyhawk). She married John ROBINSON and is found with him and the family in later censuses. She is not the Emma BARFOOT (nee BEND) who marries George LOMAS.

It is certainly a mystery. At the moment I'm inclined to going back to the idea that the Fanny (nee BEND) who is living with Frederick BARFOOT is the same person who later calls herself Emma (who marries George LOMAS). They certainly had a history of changing surname (SMITH in the 1891 census and at dau Ellen's birth in 1884), so some subterfuge going on. Though why this should be I have no idea!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 22 April 24 18:32 BST (UK) »

It is certainly a mystery. At the moment I'm inclined to going back to the idea that the Fanny (nee BEND) who is living with Frederick BARFOOT is the same person who later calls herself Emma (who marries George LOMAS).

It certainly is an intriguing mystery Maddy. Same as you I’m inclined to think that perhaps Fanny BARFOOT nee BEND is Emma LOMAS but no idea as to why she would change her name from Fanny to Emma or be using the Barfoot surname instead of Lomas in 1911.

I’ve searched 1911 census, 1921 census, 1939 register, looked for a marriage and death for a Fanny BARFOOT or BEND born c 1860 Bottesford  but nothing   ???

I keeping coming back to the Emma LOMAS from 1901 census, married to George who appears to be Emma BARFOOT on 1911 census, Fanny SMITH on 1891 census, Fanny BARFOOT on 1881c and Fanny BEND on 1871 & 1861 censuses, daughter of Samson, occ  Ag. Labourer & Ann

KevKev you posted BARFOOT/LOMAS m/c (reply 95) married on 26 July 1896, Emma widow father Samuel BEND, occ farm labourer

Quote from KevKev

“I don't have a death certificate for Ellen Barfoot but this is what I wrote down from the cemetery register about her burial:

'Ellen Barfoot 13 years 10 months buried July 17th 1898. Daughter of late F.G. Barfoot of contractors huts. Received from Anna Lomas'. I wonder who Anna Lomas was- may check into that...and why Fanny wasn't mentioned.”

Perhaps the 1898 death certificate for Ellen Barfoot might be helpful  :-\
Who was named as the informant? Was it her mother? If so, was she named Fanny or Emma?

Quote from bbart

Kevin, as to that "Anna Lomas" on the burial record for Ellen... I would think it should have said "Emma", perhaps she was misheard, or the handwriting was a bit messy.

Should Anna LOMAS be Emma LOMAS and more importantly is this Fanny Barfoot?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 22 April 24 20:46 BST (UK) »
Maddy and Ladyhawk thank you very much! It's really appreciated you are helping so much trying to sort this fiasco out, and spending time over this with me.

I have tried copying and pasting and also tried adding as an attachment part of the page of Barfoot burial notes I took from the Ardsley cemetery registers in 1976 but Rootschat won't let me add them either method, although the marriage certificate I was able to add a while back.

Despite 'Anna' Lomas being informant of Fanny's daughter Ellen's burial it makes little sense that Fanny would not still be in Worsborough to attend Ellen's burial in 1898 three years after husband Frederick George died. Why would she leave that up to 'Anna' Lomas.

Yes a question could be: was Fanny now Emma and was she at the time of Ellen's burial in some other place with George Lomas her 'new husband' of 2 years?
     Why would Emma allow that name change and for what reason. Did Fanny need to go incognito?

I looked for Emma Lomas' death but there usually is so little information on deaths back then  that I cannot pinpoint her or where and when. 

Much speculation, but at a still young age when her husband died, and maybe now alone, surely Fanny after 1898 would not have stayed in Worsborough.
    Maybe I need to send for daughter Ellens death certificate.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 22 April 24 20:46 BST (UK) »
Oh my notes DID show up!
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for all your help!

I've also just looked for a death of a Fanny Smith, Fanny Lomas and even Emma Lomas but with found nothing really.
It seems odd that Fanny would be Smith in 1891 when her husband Barfoot (whom we suppose is her husband) was still alive. Maybe Fanny didn't marry at all, neither Barfoot nor Smith.
Very odd!!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 04:54 BST (UK) »

I looked for Emma Lomas' death but there usually is so little information on deaths back then  that I cannot pinpoint her or where and when. 

Ladyhawk gave you Emma LOMAS death in reply#69. She very kindly downloaded the certificate:

25th January 1927

Emma Lomas age 68 of 7 King Street Darwen widow of George Lomas, a railway Carter

Informant daughter Jane H FENTON of 7 King Street

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 04:57 BST (UK) »
I agree, the death certificate for daughter Ellen BARFOOT could be interesting to see who the informant was.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 06:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for reminding me and sharing again Maddy.
Ladyhawk, so very kind of you to have downloaded Emma's death certificate. I think I overlooked a little of all the findings on this topic those several weeks ago but certainly much appreciated.

At least having Emma's death would surely narrows things down, and so we are left with mysterious Fanny and a few questions. I might have to try and locate any living family members of fanny and / or Emma somehow and see if they know the answers. It would be interesting wouldn't it. Maybe there are some Lomases still in Darwen.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 09:46 BST (UK) »
I agree, the death certificate for daughter Ellen BARFOOT could be interesting to see who the informant was.

Here you go KevKev & Maddy

Death

14 July 1898 Contractors Huts, New Midland Railway, Ardley U.D

Ellen BARFOOT age 13 years 10 months, daughter of Frederick George Barfoot (deceased) Railway Excavator (Foreman)

Informant

Emma LOMAS, Mother present at death same address

A mystery as to why she is not listed as Fanny Lomas ???

added a snippet from d/c
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk