Author Topic: The extensive BARFOOT family  (Read 6811 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: The extensive BARFOOT family
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 10:17 BST (UK) »
Very kind of you again Ladyhawk. So it is Emma, and not Anna LOMAS.

Still a mystery, but if it were my family I'm pretty sure I'd accept that for some reason unknown, Fanny has decided to go by the name Emma.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Ladyhawk it was extremely kind of you to obtain the death information on Ellen Barfoot. It's so appreciated and I wish I could repay you somehow so please let me know if I can.
Thank you very much!

The death information on daughter Ellen clears things up a bit - I think, but I have wondered...since we found no marriage for Fanny to Frederick George Barfoot nor a marriage of Emma to Frederick George even though she was 'Barfoot' when marrying Lomas only that Emma is 'widow' in 1896 a year after Frederick George died, could both sisters have been involved with Frederick George?
  All three might have travelled together and been in Barnsley with at least one child Ellen Barfoot, whom by the way I can find no birth for around 1863-6 in Bottesford or any familiar place.
      Granted Frederick George in his job as contractor moved around a lot.

As it's noted, all three names, Frederick George, Emma and Ellen all lived in the 'contractor huts' as a family it seems.
We know there were actually the two sisters Fanny and Emma but Emma's father was Samuel not Sansum so did Emma fabricate her fathers name on her marriage certificate to Lomas as she did apparently for her then current age? (which I found some women did if they were somewhat older than the man?).

We have a death for Emma Lomas but no Fanny with any familiar surname.
  I still can't understand what happened to Fanny since we know there was a Fanny.

Hope I'm not making things more complicated than they need to be but as you also realize, something is definitely off.
   Thank you again all involved for sticking with this so long. Kevin.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 21:25 BST (UK) »

Ladyhawk it was extremely kind of you to obtain the death information on Ellen Barfoot. It's so appreciated

kevkev no repayment necessary wanted to satisfy my own curiosity to know if it was Ellen’s mother who was the informant at her death :)

The death information on daughter Ellen clears things up a bit - I think, but I have wondered...since we found no marriage for Fanny to Frederick George Barfoot nor a marriage of Emma to Frederick George even though she was 'Barfoot' when marrying Lomas only that Emma is 'widow' in 1896 a year after Frederick George died

could both sisters have been involved with Frederick George?

I don’t think so as Fanny’s sister Emma Bend’s marriage, census records and death have all been found for her you need to look back through the thread for all the details.

We have a death for Emma Lomas but no Fanny with any familiar surname.

I still can't understand what happened to Fanny since we know there was a Fanny.

So it is Emma, and not Anna LOMAS.

Still a mystery, but if it were my family I'm pretty sure I'd accept that for some reason unknown, Fanny has decided to go by the name Emma.

I have to agree with Maddy’s comment above that Fanny decided to go by the name of Emma

As for finding no marriage for Frederick George Barfoot to Fanny Bend perhaps her father did not approve or give his consent, she was only 20 when son FGB born 1880 as mentioned on your thread they probably just lived together.

Have you traced Frederick George Barfoot back from 1881 census could he have been married and not free to marry Fanny  ???

Emma's father was Samuel not Sansum so did Emma fabricate her fathers name on her marriage certificate to Lomas as she did apparently for her then current age? (which I found some women did if they were somewhat older than the man?).

Possibly

Emma edit should have written Fanny Bend father named Sansom occupation on her baptism record Labourer
and Agricultural labourer on some of her siblings baptisms

Emma Barfoot father named Samuel occupation on her marriage record farm labourer

so both name & occupation very similar

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 22:09 BST (UK) »

All three might have travelled together and been in Barnsley with at least one child Ellen Barfoot, whom by the way I can find no birth for around 1863-6 in Bottesford or any familiar place.

As given earlier:

Ellen's birth was registered in Sculcoates in September qtr 1884. Ellen SMITH mmn BEND.

And bbart obtained the certificate - reply #59.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 04:18 BST (UK) »

Have you traced Frederick George Barfoot back from 1881 census could he have been married and not free to marry Fanny  ???

Frederick George BARFOOT was baptised 25 July 1851 at Great Canford, Dorset, his mother Elizabeth Mary BARFOOT, single woman. Birth registered Poole (8/67) no mmn.

Elizabeth Mary  BARFOOT married Frederick DUKE 4 Nov 1851 at Great Canford (she was underage and  illegitimate too). Interestingly in the 1851 census Elizabeth Mary and her mother Amelia BARFOOT are visitors with Frederick DUKE at Corfe Hills, Canford.

As noted back at the beginning of the thread, Frederick and Elizabeth Mary DUKE baptise 4 children with surname DUKE in 1859, plus Frederick George BARFOOT on the same day  - so he seems to have been baptised twice.

Frederick George BARFOOT can be found in the 1861 and 1871 census with Frederick and Elizabeth Mary DUKE in Canford (as Frederick G DUKE  in 1861 and George DUKE in 1871).

So there is 7 years between 1871 census in Canford and 1878 in Melton Mowbray where his first son(s) were born and died.

There is this mention of a Frederick George BARFOOT in 1875, in Snow Hill, London. Uncertain whether it is your F G BARFOOT. There is another Frederick George BARFOOT who married Elizabeth Azel SIMS 20 March 1870 at St Bride, Fleet St.
Publication: "The Hour"
Wednesday, 30 June 1875

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maddy for listing all the details about Frederick George Barfoot Snr.  :) I was going to take a look through the thread this morning, so no previous marriage!

Frederick George BARFOOT was baptised 25 July 1851 at Great Canford, Dorset, his mother Elizabeth Mary BARFOOT, single woman. Birth registered Poole (8/67) no mmn.

Elizabeth Mary  BARFOOT married Frederick DUKE 4 Nov 1851 at Great Canford (she was underage and  illegitimate too). Interestingly in the 1851 census Elizabeth Mary and her mother Amelia BARFOOT are visitors with Frederick DUKE at Corfe Hills, Canford.

As noted back at the beginning of the thread, Frederick and Elizabeth Mary DUKE baptise 4 children with surname DUKE in 1859, plus Frederick George BARFOOT on the same again - so he seems to have been baptised twice.

Frederick George BARFOOT can be found in the 1861 and 1871 census with Frederick and Elizabeth Mary DUKE in Canford (as Frederick G DUKE  in 1861 and George DUKE in 1871).

So there is 7 years between 1871 census in Canford and 1878 in Melton Mowbray where his first son(s) were born and died.

kevkev

Do you have any further information on the Frederick George Barfoot who was born and died 1878?

If he was Frederick and Fanny's child she would have been about 18, so if there is a marriage to be found I guess a time frame would be between 1876 -1878 and probably in Leicestershire :-\

I've looked on FreeBMD but NO Barfoot/Bend marriage to be found  ??? - there is a Frederick marrying a Fanny in Jun 1877 Melton M but their surnames are Rawson/Larkin and they can be found together on the 1881 census
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 18:01 BST (UK) »
Such great research and interesting news added. Thank you.
Not another 'drunk and riotous' person in our old family ha ha. I thought we had enough with our Irish DUNNIGAN family of Walmgate (2 great grandparents John and Mary coming from 'somewhere' in Ireland). A son of theirs who was John Dunnigan born 1866 in Walmgate was thrown in prison over 20 times for that same thing- and also fighting. He was dishonored by the city of York!!

That railway incident you located is interesting and this person could have been part of the family, but for the longest time many years ago I had the mother of Frederick George (born 1878 in Battersea) as Fanny SHORT who married a Frederick George (sometimes George Frederick) Barfoot which was incorrect of course but I had followed the SHORT line for some time. 

On my tree I do have eleven Duke children and Frederick George BARFOOT right in between them all...making 12 children in all and have that Frederick G. was baptized twice, maybe understandable in the circumstances of being brought up by Duke and family. 

The only information on Frederick George born 1879 is from the online baptism page which you viewed, and his marriage to Elizabeth Langley (who put her father as William LANGLEY who didn't exist...she was illegitimate). Frederick George Jr's mothers mother (mother of Elizabeth Mary) was Amelia Barfoot and married George Bisant (who was 23 years older than Amelia) twenty years after Mary Elizabeth was born. All interesting but complicated as we found out.

What HAS taken up so many hours of research these last 44 years is trying to verify the father of Frederick George Juniors wife Elizabeth Langley who was sister to my g. grandfather William Langley born 1873 in Barnsley. 
There are only three pieces of information that Elizabeth's father could be a William TAYLOR (too common of a name unfortunately) born about 1840 in Leicester and died in Stairfoot in 1907. My great aunt Nellie born 1898 said he was also her fathers father and "he lived with us and died in our house on Industry road".
 Aunt Nellie once told me that her dads sister Lizzie, and Fred Barfoot and kids used to visit their  family from Hunslet in the 20's and 30's, Fred being a 'train driver'.
      I think I should leave that big Taylor question mark out of this thread as there has been not one piece of info unearthed  in decades to locate Willi Taylors birth and his parents.

Thank you again for your wonderful research, what a complicated family!

Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 26 April 24 22:50 BST (UK) »
I guess until we may locate more information and details for Fanny, it looks like we are left with some questions, some 'what if's' yet some possibilities to mull over.
    Thank you so very much all all your time and research, and maybe a piece of information will come to light solidifying Fanny and who she really was.