Author Topic: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s  (Read 12906 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 14:16 GMT (UK) »
BobB1, It depends how important Albert/Alfred is to you. Any research as you will agree is only "good" if evidence is found. If your finances allow Joan Margaret's birth in 1926 could draw the net tighter.
I do not think rc's can offer a lot more than all the great info posted. If Albert is the father of Joan then there is only a small timescale between 1926-1931 when Eric was born.

SS

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Amy Lillian Thorley born 6 Feb 1923 death registered August 1994 aged 71
Birmingham RD
Register Number   P56A
District and Subdistrict   0611P
Entry Number   13

Married as Amy L Spiers to Thomas H Mills jq 1943 (also recorded as Amy L Ward) 

She appears with that dob in 1939 war register in the household of a Percival & Mary Ward

Married as Amy L Mills to Alfred R Thorley mq 1951

SS

added, possible Thorley/Spiers daughter born 1955

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »

London electoral registers.
1934 Alfred & Madge  166, Hampstead Rd
1935 "          "           17, Lyme St
1936  "        "            4a Dalby St
1937  "        "            5 Dickenson St
1938-39      "            2 Dalby St

London electoral registers.
1932 Albert & Madge  6, Warden Rd
1933 Can't see them in Camden
1934 Albert & Madge  166, Hampstead Rd
1935 Albert & Madge  17, Lyme St
1936 Alfred & Madge 4a, Dalby St
1937 Alfred & Madge  5, Dickenson St
1938-39      "            2, Dalby St

Albert seems to be using Alfred from 1936.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:48 GMT (UK) »
... I'm finding it a bit confusing

I think the important point is that no conflicting evidence has been found.

BobB1 provided a "half-life" to which a little has been added.
Contributors have compiled an earlier "half-life".
If they do not fit together, then what happened to the boy who was surnamed Abbott in 1911, what happened to the sailor after 1919 and the waiter after 1926?

Set that against the original question, where was Albert before c1930?
Sc00p has just shown when Albert decided to become Alfred.  Most people don't change their names like that.

I wonder if the two dates of birth were a mistake on the part of whoever supplied information for the household at 171 Camden High Street in 1939, if it was some kind of pub with accommodation.  Just copied the date of another person in error, which came to light after admission to hospital.  (I have two examples of census where I could not find individuals, who eventually were found staying in hotels with mis-copied surnames.)

Is it possible to close the gap by checking electoral registers in Birmingham from 1926 - to see when Albert Spiers disappears?

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 10:50 GMT (UK) »
BobB1, It depends how important Albert/Alfred is to you. Any research as you will agree is only "good" if evidence is found. If your finances allow Joan Margaret's birth in 1926 could draw the net tighter.
I do not think rc's can offer a lot more than all the great info posted. If Albert is the father of Joan then there is only a small timescale between 1926-1931 when Eric was born.

SS

SS. The answer is simple. Its very important to my Mother and therefore, important to me. I've promised to find out what I can. As the decades have passed, she has increasingly felt his loss and the lack of knowledge about him. She has no family photographs of either parents, nor of the children themselves in those years. No family holidays or other occasions to remember - nothing.

Her last memory is of her Father visiting for the weekend, sitting in bed mending shoes for neighbours (presumably a skill learned in the Sanitorium?) but not being allowed beyond the foot of the bed. No hugs, no cuddling, no comfort. Then his death.

She sees glossy adverts on TV for Ancestry and Find my Past that make it look so simple and easy; ''maybe there's a photo of my dad somewhere?'' I know that's unrealistic.

I have even employed a professional researcher to investigate, but that only found his death certificate (more than I started with) and very little else. If I have to spend more money, I will, but there is a limit to how many false trails I can afford to follow - but any logical avenues of enquiry will not be disregarded.

RC, yourself included, has been enormously helpful and filled in some blanks and opened up more new possibilities. As a collective group, they have the experience and knowledge to see things I wouldn't ever find - and that's RCs power.

I greatly appreciate the effort many have put in so far - and I don't even know if I am dealing with professional researchers or keen amateur genealogists etc, but I am very grateful.

I remain confident that I/we are inching closer and someone will find the key to tracking Alf down :)

Bob

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 18:51 GMT (UK) »
This may or may not be relevant but Albert Spiers the 21 year old unemployed Waiter was lodging at Jamaica Row in the 1921 Census.  Unfortunately the deserted wife is not named.

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Is he in either Birmingham or London as Alfred Davis in the years between 1927 and 1932? ???
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I've struggled to find him after 1923 in Birmingham.

1923 66 Carver Street. St Paul's Ward--this address on Amy Lilian's birth record.

By 1929 Amy Spiers (the "wife" )is back in her family home , 7, Woodbine Grove, Rushton St, Ladywood.

By 1931 Amy Spiers is recorded as Lilian Amy Spiers living with George Walter Edge

Seemingly Albert/Alfred & Madge were in London by 1931 for the birth of son Eric.

SS

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 15 February 24 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

FYI. I bumped into my Aunt this morning at the post office (Beatrice, Mom's sister). In brief, I was talking about Madge and asked if she knew when she went to London....? No, but its her understanding that she went to work at a Hotel there.

If true, I wondered if this snippet of info could somehow be relevant to the Albert at the Queens Hotel Birmingham? Is this how they met?

Does Marth (Madge) Wentworth appear in the 1921 census showing any employment?

Bob