Author Topic: Lambhill Cemetery  (Read 221 times)

Offline Ealasaid McLelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lambhill Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 06 February 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am located in the United States. Would anyone be able to provide a photo of the grave site on the attached document? Section A Lair 856. Thank you. Martha Jane McLelland

Can anyone explain the difference between common ground and dressed ground for a cemetery lair?

Also, I have attached a document for my great grandmother grave location in Lambhill cemetery - Martha Jane McLelland - lair owner James McLelland does the letter A indicate a pauper grave?

thank you!

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lambhill Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 21:18 GMT (UK) »
A pauper's grave, or common ground, means that it was a plot owned by the parochial board or nowadays, the local authority, which was used to bury people who died in poverty. The grave is filled-up with (usually) unrelated people and when full, a new grave is opened. Dressed ground would have been a term used for private lairs.
The fact that you have proof that your great-grandmother is in a lair owned by, presumably, a family member rules it out of being a pauper's grave.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Map of Lambhill Cemetery here www.glasgowlife.org.uk/media/tl2fqkjy/lambhill-cemetery-plan.pdf

The 'A' you have as a reference could well relate to Section A in the cemetery. You can see this marked on the map link above.

An old post here on RC than might be of interest www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737559.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 23:04 GMT (UK) »
You should also be able to find their entries in the burial records at Lambshill here www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1316261?availability=Family History Library

If you haven't used Family Search before, you just need to register for a free account to view.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ealasaid McLelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your information, Lodger. The owner of the Lair James McLelland is buried in a pauper's grave. I have attached a copy of his record. I could not understand why his record did not have a lair owner and now I know why. Thank you!

Thank you MonicaL - I found the lair information I posted on Family Search. I agree the A is
probably section A. The map was very helpful. Thank you!