Author Topic: ancestry dna  (Read 569 times)

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
ancestry dna
« on: Wednesday 07 February 24 10:13 GMT (UK) »
i been with ancestry since 2006 i forgot to give them my new card details before my membership ran out they denied me access to research now its run out fiorst they block me from seeing maternal and paternal matches then they block me from seeing ancestors through lines now theve added i can only see a maximum of 3 matches on dna match i would like to rejoin but its hard to take when ive paid for dna and im not allowed to access the information i know im cutting my nose to spite my face i dont like being treated like this after being with them for 18 years i know im not on my own on this its just not right

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry dna
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 10:17 GMT (UK) »
There's already at least one thread about this here on Rootschat. People without subscriptions have suddenly lost some useful tools. Although I can no longer see breakdown of paternal and maternal matches (which was often incorrect) I was fortunate that I put my highest matches (above 20 cMs) into paternal & maternal groups. I checked yesterday and, so far, those colour coded groups are still showing.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks for reply i didnt realise this had already been covered

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 01:11 GMT (UK) »
i been with ancestry since 2006 i forgot to give them my new card details before my membership ran out they denied me access to research now its run out fiorst they block me from seeing maternal and paternal matches then they block me from seeing ancestors through lines now theve added i can only see a maximum of 3 matches on dna match i would like to rejoin but its hard to take when ive paid for dna and im not allowed to access the information i know im cutting my nose to spite my face i dont like being treated like this after being with them for 18 years i know im not on my own on this its just not right
Hi raa,
I feel  very much the same way.
I've  been a member with them since 2004 , almost 20 years, I've  had an ongoing annual sub  for years on end .
My sub runs out in April and I won't  be re newing  it.
Ancestry/ Blackstone should remember it's  a very much a two way street - I'll be turning my DNA matches off ( ie setting it to private, so nobody will be able to see me as a Match. It works two ways of course, I won't see any matches at all either  -but  I feel it's very much worth it) .
Why should they use my DNA to line their greedy pockets , using my dna  in other people's matches , if I don't get to see my  shared matches too . Stuff that.

There are quite  few petitions going  around  about  the new changes, not that I think any of these online petitions will change their minds,
But this may,  there are over 26 million  people who have taken a DNA test with Ancestry ( 2019 figures so it will be far more now) - how many of those  tests do you think have  paid subs with them? I'll  take a total stab in the dark and say it could be as high as more than 50% that don't have current subs. Now can you imagine  if everyone who doesn't  have a sub turned their  DNA Match  sharing setting off ( ie setting their  dna to private ,so nobody can see them, sub paying or otherwise ) - it would basically render ancestry DNA matches  and Thu lines next to near useless . It would basically  half most peoples matches.  Would you pay for this service if you only  had a few matches, I know I wouldn't.

Ancestry ought  to remember who's  DNA it belongs to they are sharing, it is our  DNA not theirs. They have cheek using out DNA to for these   new charge to see  our shared matches. The shared matches have always been part of the price of the DNA kit .
It is underhanded and so wrong.

As soon as my sub runs out, I am switching  that  off sharing button .
Cutting  my nose  off to spite my face?Not at all .

Kind regards  :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell & raa
I feel like shutting off your results would be cutting off your nose
Did you know that even if your subs have lapsed your matches can still contact you and you can reply

They can tell you your shared matches

Alternatively you can give control of your results to a relation or friend who has up to date subi can see my mother's results. &; one of her Second cousins my nephews  results &;those of my  late paternal aunts + my brother in law . Have been able to help adoptees .children & grandchildren of parents unknown on each of their lines without those individuals having to pay renewals every year .

Also there are occasional weekends when all access is free

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson