Author Topic: Hartlepool electoral rolls 1940’s  (Read 104 times)

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hartlepool electoral rolls 1940’s
« on: Wednesday 07 February 24 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please advise where I am able to search the electoral rolls for this period. Is is Hartlepool library or Teesside archives in Middlesbrough. Travelling down from Scotland, so don’t want to go to the wrong place. Thankyou

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepool electoral rolls 1940’s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 18:24 GMT (UK) »
http://hartlepoolfamilyhistorygroup.com/index.php/resources-for-family-history/

That page shows that electoral rolls are available at Hartlepool Central Library, there is a telephone number for them on the page, I imagine they can tell you if they have them for the time frame you need.

https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/leisure-culture-and-parks/teesside-archives/
and that page says the archives is closed till Spring 2024 whilst refurbishment works are going on.NB going by Durham Archives re-opening dates are sometimes on the optimistic side.

I am sure you are aware that knowledge of an address is essential to find anything in electoral registers plus there were no electoral registers for 1940–1944.
Boo

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes I know what street and it is for 1946.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at electoral registers for another area, am assuming the dates would be the same all over the country
If it helps, the relevant dates seem to be as follows
two registers dated 1945
May 1945- qualifying date 31 Jan  to be included on the register published 7th May
October 1945 -qualifying date 30 Jun to be included on the register published 15th Oct

1946 (only one register)- qualifying date 30 Jun to be included on the register published 15th Oct
1947 (only one register)- qualifying date 30 Jun to be included on the register published 15th Oct

Some libraries may be willing to look for you (perhaps with a small fee but I've had a few who, given the address and name and maybe 2 register years, will do a look up for free)
So if this is your only reason for a long trip its always worth asking, even with a small fee it would be a lot less than the travel costs.

Boo