Author Topic: Barbara K Hopwood  (Read 228 times)

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbara K Hopwood
« on: Wednesday 07 February 24 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping the post that was here has been removed.I thought I had deleted it but it has reappeared twice. HELP

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hopwood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat has a strict no living persons policy to protect peoples privacy.  We cannot publish any details of living persons

You need to remove her details from your post and her christian name from your subject header
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Once you've edited the post as Carole indicates, you should be able to order a birth certificate in one of the following ways:

1. Try again via Lancashire BMD and its link to Manchester Register Office. For the name you gave (which will hopefully soon be removed) there's nothing to suggest the birth was in Preston, so you should just use what's given in the index. Whether this will work I don't know, as I didn't get beyond the mandatory date of birth field.

2. Via the GRO: births for 1954 aren't in their online index, but they can be found in the one at FreeBMD. Go to the GRO's Place an Order page, and use the reference given by FreeBMD, preferably after checking with the spectacles link that the transcription is correct. The minimum cost will be £11.00 for a paper certificate - extra for priority service.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maxidog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara K Hopwood
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 24 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I hopefully have removed my posting as it was seen to contravene the rules.
I have done all those steps you suggest and got nowhere so decided to post on Lancashire forum in the hope someone knew the family.
I guess I shall have to persuade my husband to book a few days in Preston and Manchester so that I can visit the libraries there. I have found librarians a valuable source for information both here and when we visited New Zealand. It was through posting on Roots Chat that I found out that my father was buried in NZ after over 10 years of futile searches.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 24 19:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a birth in Manchester, 1954, that seems to fit?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 24 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I have done all those steps you suggest and got nowhere so decided to post on Lancashire forum in the hope someone knew the family.
Did you try placing an order with the GRO in the way I suggested? If you were unsuccessful, what reason was given?

I guess I shall have to persuade my husband to book a few days in Preston and Manchester so that I can visit the libraries there. I have found librarians a valuable source for information...
True, but they don't hold birth registrations or issue birth certificates. You can only get these via the GRO or the register office for the district where the birth was registered, and on the face of it, there's no obvious reason why you shouldn't be able to get the one you're looking for.

You can visit a register office and deal with them in person (an appointment might be needed), but they're all used to dealing with applications by some or all of post, internet or telephone. Do bear in mind, though, that according to the indexes, the birth was registered in Manchester, so the Preston register office won't be able to help.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 24 19:56 GMT (UK) »
NB - following Carole's lead, I suggest that everyone modifies the header/subject line of their posts to just Hopwood (with Re: as appropriate).

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 24 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it's now too late - facility only available for 24hrs after posting.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)