Author Topic: Alexander Jardine - Hosier/Sock salesman  (Read 426 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Jardine - Hosier/Sock salesman
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:43 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census she describes herself (in occ col as Widow)
1851 -do- as hosier's widow

Nothing in the Scottish burials, 1829-1855, but only a small % are recorded.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 February 24 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to consider this couple.

I believe that it was Jemima Calvert born c1787. The Mothers maiden name on the death record was Hinnel,her place of birth was Pillethill (Pellethill near Hoddom), she had lived in Annan 18 years. Age at death 64. This information relies on the knowledge of the person reporting the death.

My GG Grandfather Francis Calvert, Innkeeper at Dalton DF parents on his death record were Margaret Hennel who is buried in St Kentigerns Graveyard with two of her Calvert Children detailed on the headstone and James Calvert. His wife was Mary Hammond.

Mary Calvert nee Hammond was from Yorkshire, I believe it could be her that was the sister-in-law reporting the death, perhaps her Hennel/Hannel sounded like Hinnel? The Hennel/Hannel family were from Cowthat, Tundergarth area.

The 1851 Census has Jamsie (for Jemima - like Elizabeth and Betty?) Widow of a Hosier. Born at Hoddom.

I will ask for the Scotland People record to be rescanned. My thanks everyone for your time. Perhaps someone in the future will have the knowledge about the Annan records and the Jardine family tree :) Regards, June

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 24 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Another question! She was buried at Hoddom Old Graveyard - was this St Kentigerns?  Hoddom New seems to be at the shell of the Hoddom Church.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 February 24 19:20 GMT (UK) »
It definitely says Widower, Book seller, (Deceased). Perhaps anything unexpected is the result of this being the first year of statutory registration. The registrar might have been told that she was his second wife, but the informant did not know the name of his first wife.