Author Topic: John Curley of Tuam Galway  (Read 94 times)

Offline SapereAude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tommy and Fanny Hammond and son Fred (my ggf)
    • View Profile
John Curley of Tuam Galway
« on: Wednesday 28 February 24 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have been attempting to research my Irish 3x ggf, John Curley, born in Tuam, Galway in abt. 1856 and have hit a brick wall as to his life before he emigrated to England at some point before 1874, (birth of his first child). He married Catharine Roach(e) (born in abt. 1855 in Liverpool to Irish parents Richard (b. abt 1826) and Catherine MNU (b. abt 1824)), and they had eleven children. I have traced him, his children, his wife and his wife's parents/siblings around England but I can't find anything about John, or Catharine's parents, before they emigrated... I was wondering if anyone could help me?
(Once in England, I think some Curleys changed their name to Corless and back, it all seems quite complicated...)

It is the family researched in this rather old post: https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t14/ (I wish I had found this post before I started researching this side; it would have saved me many hours of struggling!)

Thank you in advance for your time and research:)
SapereAude

PS: There is a vague idea of America in family lore around this branch, also said by the author of the post I pasted, could this be a possibility?
Davenport, Fear, Heywood, Lees, Bramwood, Fullalove (Lancashire) ; Dawson, Carr, Park, Mattinson, Peel, Threlkeld (Cumberland) ; Hammond, Peacock, Pedley, Alderson (Yorkshire) ; Notman, Irving, Bell (Dumfriesshire, Scotland) ; Curley/Corless, Roche (Ireland, Galway?)

Please contact me if you know anything about the Fear family of Manchester and Oldham's fish and poultry business  :)