Author Topic: Burial of Jane Ann Straughan 1917  (Read 573 times)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burial of Jane Ann Straughan 1917
« on: Tuesday 05 March 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I need some help locating a burial for Jane Ann Straughan, died 1917, registered Dec in Tynemouth.

She was born in 1871 in Alnwick, parents John and Mary Alice. She then married William Straughan in 1894 at Rennington. In 1911 they were living with their children at South Row, Bedlington.

I though her burial could be in Bedlington but I couldn’t find her in the register. Their daughter Mary Arabella died in 1916 and is buried with William’s parents in Rennington, but also no sign of a Jane Straughan there. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/231688291/mary-arabella-straughan

Her husband William died 1936 and was buried at Netherton Lane.

There is an obituary for her 14 Dec 1917 “At Dam Dykes, Dudley on the 9th inst., aged 46 years, Jane Ann Straughan, dearly beloved wife of William Straughan, late of Rennington”
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Jane Ann Straughan 1917
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Dudley Cemetery - that seems to be the nearest to Damdykes?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 06:45 GMT (UK) »
JenB

Have not tried Dudley Cemetery—I didn’t even know there was a cemetery there! I think it’s possible she’s here given the proximity.

Unfortunately I don’t even know where to look for their burial records online (if they’re available, that is). According to the lists online of what they hold, Tyne & Wear Archives only seem to hold Dudley Cemetery records from 1934 onwards?  ??? And no mention of Dudley cemetery in Northumberland Archives list either.

Edit: on further look I think this cemetery might have opened about 1935? FindAGrave shows no burials before that date.
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 07:55 GMT (UK) »
North Shields local studies has the Dudley Cemetery burial records too and I would have checked for you but the start date is 1934 so as you mention this must be when this cemetery opened.
Was she Catholic?  if so, might she have been buried at St John, RC Church in Annitsford? Those records are at Tyne and Wear Archives.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 08:37 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182404488/william-straughan

This may not be her at St Alban, Earsdon but the memorial inscription for this William Straughan above also mentions a wife Jane unfortunately I can't make out the date of death on the image.  I can see 'Jane wife of the above William Straughan' ... Their inscriptions are right at the base of the memorial.  I know you have mentioned that your relevant William was buried elsewhere though.
I have already added entries here for 1917 to FaG but I don't add if the writing is unclear and I can't work out name. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Edit: on further look I think this cemetery might have opened about 1935? FindAGrave shows no burials before that date.

Yes it looks like you're correct, sorry about that.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this may not be her as a memorials inscription volume records date of death as 13 Dec 18....  unless of course, someone transcribed incorrectly?
Date of death for William is recorded as 29 Oct 1894 in the volume.

No, ..  I have rechecked entries and she does not appear here in 1917.

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Edit: on further look I think this cemetery might have opened about  1935? FindAGrave shows no burials before that date.

Yes it looks like you're correct, sorry about that.

All good! It rules another cemetery out, after all  :)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 13:48 GMT (UK) »
North Shields local studies has the Dudley Cemetery burial records too and I would have checked for you but the start date is 1934 so as you mention this must be when this cemetery opened.
Was she Catholic?  if so, might she have been buried at St John, RC Church in Annitsford? Those records are at Tyne and Wear Archives.

I believe Jane & William were Church of England.

Although the Earsdon one isn’t Jane/William, there is an interesting coincidence with the family inscribed above being Wardle. If I remember Jane’s sister Barbara had the “unofficial” middle name Wardle but I couldn’t find out where that originated from. They came from Alnwick though.
Carter (Yorkshire)