Author Topic: St Mary's hospital TB burials - 1940s?  (Read 986 times)

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mary's hospital TB burials - 1940s?
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to locate the burial site of my Mother's father who died of TB at St Mary's Hospital in 1943.

On his death certificate, he is ALBERT WILSON died 15 Aug 1943 age 43. In attendance, M Wilson, Widow'. Stated address was 41 Hawthorne Road, Stoppsley, Luton.

I have tried my best to locate a grave for him, but so far had no luck.

Q. How did St Mary's dispose of TB bodies in those days?
Q. Did they have an internal burial ground or a preferred municipal/borough site?
Q. Are there records of such burials that can be accessed?

Grateful if anyone can help in this.

Bob

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's hospital TB burials - 1940s?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

As my previous post failed to generate any responses, I wonder the following simplification would be more productive:

1. Is it possible to know if St Mary's Hospital, Luton in the 1940s, had a policy of cremation or burial for TB patients? if so what were the most likely places for cremation or burial?

I would be grateful for any guidance or information on this to help me find my Grandfather's final resting place or his cremation.

Regards

Bob

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 16:58 BST (UK) »
Burial or cremation after death due to TB may have been by normal procedures.
In accordance with the persons/family wishes.

Below is a list of famous people who died of TB. Most seem to have had normal burials
Look at George Orwell who died in England 1950:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t3d/

Have you located the burial of his wife or other family members?

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 24 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your post, tonepad.

The basic info is that he was apparently born in Birmingham and moved to London around 1928, where he had his children. We believe he was originally christened Albert Sydney Spiers, and changed his name to Alfred Wilson around 1928  The wife (also from the Midlands) and kids moved to Luton in 1939 as part of the evacuation plan - he stayed in London.

Sometime after 1939 - 1941 he was diagnosed with TB. As the family were in Luton, he ended up in St Mary's hospital TB wing, where he died in Aug 1943.

In 1944, his wife and kids moved back to the Midlands, so its not possible he could be buried any where except the Luton area. Of course he could have been cremated.

Bedford Archives hold no records, or are closed  under the 100 year rule.

I have telephoned St Mary's to see if they have an archive or may know any basic historical facts, but frankly the receptionist was unable to think of who to refer me to.

My questions are:

1. What where the normal protocols for body disposal at St Mary's - was cremation a thing then?
2. Burial or cremation, where are local records held that might identify his final resting place?

I'm hoping that someone on this thread has an idea of how to answer these, or has experience of this kind of research. 

Offline Wellington66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 24 13:55 BST (UK) »
My mother died of T.B. in the 1940's and had a "normal" burial in her local churchyard in a village in Hertfordshire.
Welly x
CLARKE  Wm Lowestoft Sfk/Gt.Yarmouth Nfk
GOODING Ann Barnby/Beccles Sfk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 24 15:31 BST (UK) »
"In 1944, his wife and kids moved back to the Midlands, so its not possible he could be buried any where except the Luton area. Of course he could have been cremated."

His body could have been transported to another area away from Luton for burial.
My grandmother was buried in the grave of her first husband in West London although she died where her second husband lived in Kent about 50 miles away.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 24 15:34 BST (UK) »
It is not an area I am familiar with but most local authorities have a Bereavement service. I suggest you contact Luton Town Council, a couple of minutes Googling throws up the following for burials and cremation.

The Vale Cemetery,
Butterfield Road,
LUTON
LU2 8DD

Tel. 01582 723700.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Wellington66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 24 15:38 BST (UK) »
I probably should have added my mother died in a military hospital in Shrewsbury.  My grandfather drove with the undertakers to bring her body home.
Sorry going off piste.  George Orwell lived for a time in the 1940's next door to my g.grandparents pub in Hertfordshire.  Small world.
Welly x.
CLARKE  Wm Lowestoft Sfk/Gt.Yarmouth Nfk
GOODING Ann Barnby/Beccles Sfk

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 24 09:58 BST (UK) »
"In 1944, his wife and kids moved back to the Midlands, so its not possible he could be buried any where except the Luton area. Of course he could have been cremated."

His body could have been transported to another area away from Luton for burial.
My grandmother was buried in the grave of her first husband in West London although she died where her second husband lived in Kent about 50 miles away.

Tony

After his death, she would have had no reason to want to move back to the Midlands. I know why she did which is why I'm certain he is buried or was cremated in Luton.