Author Topic: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927  (Read 2706 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927
« Reply #54 on: Friday 19 April 24 08:17 BST (UK) »
The info I posted on the first birth registration was from a digitized copy from the GRO, see attached.
In a formal adoption, there should be an indication on the original.  There is nothing. Mind you, an amendment should have been noted.

Audrey has two registrations as well, amending the name of her mother.

From FreeBMD
Births Dec 1917   
Weigand    Audrey E    Weigand    Marylebone  1a  see MCH 1919   

Births Mar 1919
Weigand    Audrey E    Weigand    Marylebone    1a   575

From GRO
WEIGAND, AUDREY  ELSIE      -  no mmn   
GRO Reference: 1917  D Quarter in ST. MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 647  Occasional Copy: A

KOSELJ, AUDREY  ELSIE      WEIGAND     
GRO Reference: 1919  M Quarter in ST. MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 575

I think some of us are thinking, at the moment, that there may not have been a real adoption, the child was a result of an affair with Mr Forrest, and given to Forrest to raise. As to why keep Audrey; I think it would be much harder to part with a child you were raising, especially when it ties your husband to you, as opposed to a baby that might end your marriage  Just my thoughts... nothing concrete as of yet.  People attracted to the life of adventure, fame and fortune, have a different mindset than us "regular" people!

Offline Noteventhebirdsareupyet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 19 April 24 08:58 BST (UK) »
What has confused me since the start though is that he did have a birth certificate and it certainly wasn't the one on the GRO. He used it throughout his life and it was lost in the 1990s when he sent it to an insurance company to prove his DOB! If he had never lost it, none of this would ever have been discovered. He presumably called some government record holding office and described it to them . They then informed him that an A at the top meant he had been adopted. There must be a copy somewhere of this, unless it was an outright fake. But again, why add an A to mean adopted if they were creating a fake?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 19 April 24 09:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I thought you were after the real birth reg., not a copy of the one he had. 
Do you recall if the birth date/ place  were a match to the one I posted?

Heading off now, but I can poke around more tomorrow.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 19 April 24 15:34 BST (UK) »
Was Harold junior ever in the military (thinking WW2) if so might this have been when he obtained the birth certificate he always used and could his service record provide any more clues?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 19 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I thought you were after the real birth reg., not a copy of the one he had. 

I very much was after the one I've got, at the beginning but now I would like the other one too, if possible! I think what I'm really searching for now is  confirmation of birth father, the link between the Koseljs and the Forrests and some sort of motivation for giving him up for adoption but I know I'm just being emotional and I'm unlikely to find the answers to these things without diaries/personal letters etc.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 19 April 24 15:50 BST (UK) »

I very much was after the one I've got, at the beginning but now I would like the other one too, if possible! I think what I'm really searching for now is  confirmation of birth father, the link between the Koseljs and the Forrests and some sort of motivation for giving him up for adoption but I know I'm just being emotional and I'm unlikely to find the answers to these things without diaries/personal letters etc.

Sorry I missed your question. I never saw the birth certificate he used but he always said he was born in Camberwell, so it's the same area.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 19 April 24 15:51 BST (UK) »
Was Harold junior ever in the military (thinking WW2) if so might this have been when he obtained the birth certificate he always used and could his service record provide any more clues?

Yes for many years. He was in India and Burma quite a bit. I am not good at searching the military records but that's a really good idea. Where has the best/easiest place to search? I'm on find my past and ancestry.com at the moment.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 19 April 24 16:12 BST (UK) »
I’m pretty hopeless with military research although there as other Rootschatters that are really good.

This advice on the National Archives site might help

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/second-world-war/

Pinetree

I did have a Quick Look on Ancestry and FindMyPast without success but that may well be down to my lack of expertise
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 19 April 24 16:20 BST (UK) »
Here's what I know about his time in the military after asking family:

I believe he was in the Royal Artillary and was also part of the British Expeditionary Force in France, prior to war breaking out. He enlisted some time around 1939, possibly earlier. He was in France, Mauritius, India (in 33rd Indian Corps). Also in Burma and he was a Sergent by the end of his career.