Author Topic: Great Great Grandparents Samuel Brady / Jane Carroll DC Cannot Find  (Read 622 times)

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Great Grandparents Samuel Brady / Jane Carroll DC Cannot Find
« on: Tuesday 12 March 24 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Been trying to find DC for my maternal Great Great Grandparents.

Information I have is as follows:

Deceased prior to 1899 from Daughters Marriage Certificate.
Names Samuel Brady Birth approximately 1842 as listed in 1881 Census as aged 39 Carluke Lanak
Jane Carroll Birth approximately 1850 as listed in 1881 Census as aged 31 Carluke Lanak
They seem to have married prior to 1876/77 as my great grandmother was born that year.

Have tried Scotland's People with various name variants and locations other than Glasgow but no luck so far.

Hope someone can help me break this brickwall...
Regards
Markw

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandparents Samuel Brady / Jane Carroll DC Cannot Find
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you have her parents in the 1891 census?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Both Samuel & Jane Brady were born in Ireland. Their 1yr old son was b England

You haven't given any name/birthyear for their daughter or where she married in 1899
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking at the original census, or at a transcription?

The index at Scotland's People says Samuel was 39 in 1881, but another transcription says 34. He is in a household with his brother Bernard, also aged 39, so I think it would be worth a look at the original to see who has got it wrong.

But there isn't a 3 or 4 year-old daughter in the household. Their only child is son Samuel, aged 1, born England.

There are two Samuel Bradys born in England in 1880, one with mother Snelson and the other with mother Smith.

James Brady married Elizabeth Snelson in Liverpool in 1863, and they had a large family. Samuel b 1880 died in infancy. His father James also died about the same time, and Jane Brady, widow, is with her mother Jane Snelson in Ptrescot in 1881. So they cane be discounted.

The one with mother Smith was born in West Ham. He had an older brother Charles, b 1877, and this allowed me to find the family living in West Ham in 1881. So they too can be discounted.

There is a William Brady, mother Carroll, born in Liverpool in 1880. But this isn't helpful either because he had an older sister Susannah, and both are with their mother Mary Ann and siblings, not including a Samuel, in Liverpool in 1881 (well, West Derby) in 1881.

Bernard and Margaret's son Alexander is aged 1, born Lanarkshire. He would fit the one born in Carluke in 1880, mother Heenan. I think that this could be Bernard Brady and Margaret Keenan, who were married in Longford, Ireland, in 1870. Bernard's father was also Bernard, and their daughter Mary, born in Longford in 1872, would fit the 9-year-old Mary in the 1881 census.

Samuel Brady, son of Bernard Brady, married Jane Murphy in Dublin in 1873. It's the only marriage on record of a Jane to a Samuel Murphy in Ireland before 1881 but I still can't see a birth of a Samuel Brady in England in 1879/1880 with mother Murphy.

I don't see Samuel and Jane in 1891 or later census in Great Britain, even with spelling variants, and I don't see them in Ireland in 1901. Maybe they emigrated somewhere?

What were the name of the daughter of Samuel Brady and Jane Carroll, and the name of her husband? Have you found them in the 1901 census, and if so where does it say that she was born? And how old was she? Have you found her in the 1881 census? 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies..

I only have the ref for the Census 1881 for Samuel Brady 629/ 2/ 44 but based upon other records of children BRADY Thomas AGED 0 Death Calton Mothers Maiden Name Carroll and BRADY James 2 Calton Mothers Maiden Name Carroll  I think this is correct. Samuel B married to Jane Carroll

Mary Ann Brady 1877-1934 married James Ryan 1874 -1933 at St Andrews RC Dundee 17th July 1899. I do have a note that Mary Ann was born in England but can't seem to find reference for this at this time will need to check my files.

Addresses given in 1899 James Ryan and Mary Ann Brady .... 94 hawthorn street Glasgow 14 east Henderson's wynd Dundee.

Thanks for trying
Regards
Markw

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:24 GMT (UK) »
What does the BRADY/RYAN marriage certificate say?

(I note index says Mary, not Mary Ann)

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello mckha489
It just reads M Brady.. but I got her full name from children's BC's
regards
Mark W

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello mckha489
It just reads M Brady.. but I got her full name from children's BC's
regards
Mark W

BRADY
MARY
RYAN
JAMES
282 / 2 / 147
ST MARY

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:47 GMT (UK) »
What year is thie death of Thomas Brady, age 0?

Is it this one?
Govan, not Calton

BRADY
THOMAS
CARROLL
M
646 / 2 / 767
GOVAN