Author Topic: Alexander Pendleton Artabrackagh Ballyworkan  (Read 149 times)

Offline gpenelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Pendleton Artabrackagh Ballyworkan
« on: Wednesday 13 March 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am trying to find out more information about my 2nd Great Grandfather Alexander Pendleton, who I believe was born in Ireland and emigrated to Canada sometime prior to 1835 with his wife Jane.

I believe he was born around 1805 and that Jane's maiden name was Jane Anna McBride. The only records I have been able to find on him from Ireland are from the "Northern Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1822-1837" that show tax assessments  for an Alexander Pendleton in Artabrackagh, County Armagh in 1828 and in Ballyworkan, County Armagh in 1834.

I have checked for birth and marriage records through irisheneology.ie with no luck. I would appreciate it if someone could steer me towards any other sources of information that might help me in my search.

Thanks
Gary Penelton
Manitoba, Canada

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Pendleton Artabrackagh Ballyworkan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 24 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary, and welcome.

There are some members here who have done quite a bit of research into the Ballyworkan Pendletons, and hopefully they will read this before too long. In the meantime there's a long thread which might help:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=150187.0

I think there may be other threads too - try Search at the top of any page and see what comes up.

I'm not sure if it was in that thread or another one that we found that Pentland was a variant of Pendleton. My interest is that a Thomas Pentland married my 3x great aunt Martha Gibson in 1851, both being of Ballyworkan, so probably connected to yours in some way. I'm not really up to speed on them at present, though, as I've been concentrating more on my English lines, so I hope some of the other members will be able to tell you more.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gpenelton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 24 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Arthur. It seems that my surname has changed numerous times over the decades, so now I will have to search for Pentland, Pendleton, Pentleton and Penelton!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it links somewhere, in the following mariage:

JOHN PENDLETON
JUDITH BROWNLEE
Date of Event   24 April 1845

SR District/Reg Area   Banbridge

the chap gives his address as Ballylisk, and father as Alexander, a weaver.

Ballylisk is a neighbouring townland to Ballyworkan.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline gpenelton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 24 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Scotmum.

The Alexander Pendleton I am looking for had all of his children in Canada, with the first being born in 1835, so that date would not work out.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo