Author Topic: Help with WW2 RASC Service Record  (Read 101 times)

Offline agc353

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with WW2 RASC Service Record
« on: Tuesday 19 March 24 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening,

I am hoping somebody would help me with my father’s WW2 service record, as I am struggling to decipher most of the detail.

From my conversations with him, many years ago, I recall him telling me that:

He spent time in Herne Bay before being posted to North Africa. He said his unit was part of the Eighth Army which fought the Battle(s?) of El Alamein. At the end of the North African campaign his unit took part in the invasion of Italy (as part of the 5th Army, I believe) and took part in the Battle of Monte Cassino and later the liberation of Bologna.

He met and married my mother in Italy in June 1945.

He was demoted from Corporal (later reinstated?) due to being absent without leave - I believe in order to visit his future wife.

I know they left Italy shortly after getting married, but I don’t know how or when they travelled to England nor whether they travelled together.

His Service Number was T/122509 - I have his Service Medals, which include the Africa and Italy Stars.

I would like to have a fuller picture of his time in the Army, so any details that can be extracted from his records would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the first record - there are four other pages, but file number/size restrictions mean I don't believe I can attach them to this post (please advise).

Many thanks in advance.

agc353