Author Topic: What did my great grandmother die of?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did my great grandmother die of?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 24 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I’ve never managed to get my head round the school TB testing in the 60s. If I remember correctly, I had the first injection, in the forearm, twice. Whilst the other brats were running round comparing the size of their “lumps”, the injections never gave me the slightest reaction and I was neither sent for an x-ray nor given a further inoculation.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 24 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The circular test is known as the Mantoux test.  Mine did not react so I had the vaccination, known as BCG.  A very long needle.

My father was diagnosed with TB in 1949.  He was lucky to be one of the first to be treated with streptomycin.  One lung was collapsed for weeks, daily injections, then the other lung.  He was off work for 8 months, but recovered and lived another 40 years.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 March 24 21:42 GMT (UK) »
My eldest son tested positive after a routine school test in Belgium.
We were so worried, but our lovely GP Explained it all, it did not mean he had it but had  been in contact one way or another but good diet and living conditions ,fresh air etc he had not really got a full blown infection.
We all had to be tested .
The Dr. Suggested he had drunk unpasteurised milk from a cow not TT Attested .
Belgian people thought pasteurised milk had lost all its goodness so got it straight from the farm!!!!
He often went to his Belgian school friends’ homes,had coffee etc.

Two of my mother’s sisters died from it, the death certificates mention Haemopthysis, ie coughing up blood which of course came out of their mouths ,most distressing to say the least .
Early 1900’s.
Many composers had it ,Chopin for example .
It supposedly heightens sensations , many composers reputedly had it, but what music they gave us!
Viktoria.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »
An interesting recent thread was essentially about tracing the complicated origins of someone who died of TB in 1943, for his daughter who is now aged 90 and has little memory of him.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=880113.0

In the 1939 register he had sent his family from London to Luton, but remained behind himself.  At some unknown date he went into hospital in Luton.  His burial is still unknown.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 24 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I’ve never managed to get my head round the school TB testing in the 60s. If I remember correctly, I had the first injection, in the forearm, twice. Whilst the other brats were running round comparing the size of their “lumps”, the injections never gave me the slightest reaction and I was neither sent for an x-ray nor given a further inoculation.

I don’t know if was for TB but I had the same experience I had the initial jag but there was no reaction so didn’t have the follow up I was led to believe the initial jag showed I had a natural immunity so didn’t need the second course so avoided the scar.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 March 24 01:30 GMT (UK) »
If either the jelly test or the circular vac resulted in no “lumps” on the site of the tests - you had the vaccination

If there were visible “lumps” on the site - then you were said to have a natural immunity & did not need the vaccination.  I was one of the latter & was sent for a precautionary x-ray which was negative.   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 March 24 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that is something of an oversimplification - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test

(I haven’t studied the article in detail as I’m currently on a campsite in Northumberland!)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 March 24 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that is something of an oversimplification

Back in 1960 we didn't have Wikipedia so just accepted what the TB vaccination nurses told us.  😂😂
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 March 24 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I had a reaction to the test and consequently went for x-rays for a few years. I'm not sure where I came into contact. My mother insisted I had unpasteurised milk from the farm behind our house and my father spent some time in the local sanatorium. It could have been either or both.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,