Author Topic: FTM 2024?  (Read 284 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
FTM 2024?
« on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I’ve seen on my history that FTM 2024 is out. However, it seems odd that you have to buy it, then download FTM 2019 first and wait for the upgrade to be sent out.
I can’t seem to find any other site, not even the makers of FTM advertising it. Any ideas?
Thanks
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2024?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Has it been released yet? as far as I know you can only buy FTM2019 for now.

Martin

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Has it been released yet? as far as I know you can only buy FTM2019 for now.

Martin
My history.co.uk say it was supposed to be released later this year. But you can’t even buy the 2019 version. There’s nothing on the mackive website about it, says I can get 2019 version but only via my history.co.uk
The only other thing I found was they were supposed to say something about it at rootstech. But nothing else. Not sure if to wait or to get Roots Magic instead (at a third of the price!)
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 18:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 24 22:46 BST (UK) »
Sometime in April is shown on a website, others are non committal.

One thing to bear in mind is that it will probably be a significant upgrade and as such I for one will not be rushing out to buy.

I gave up being a “Beta Tester” of new software releases years ago, I now leave others to risk their systems and for the bugs to be rectified before I commit.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 24 23:02 BST (UK) »
1'm still using a very old version of FTM which does 99% of what I want. However I contacted Mackiev a couple of weeks ago to ask whether the upcoming version would have the facility to show descendants of unmarried parents, but the person I spoke to thought it wouldn't be able to do that. It seems to me that that is a major omission, especially given the number modern families which feature unmarried parents. It makes no sense to enter the details as if the parents were married and then plaster the entries with notes to say that they weren't.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 08:51 BST (UK) »
Andy J2022

You've been wrongly informed. First of all it doesn't matter what a partner's relationship is, of course you can show all their descendants. Secondly FTM has a function to let you identify the type of relationship between two people, spouses, partners, etc.

Martin

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that update Martin. I may need to look at the latest version of FTM when it is finally out.

Perhaps you may have misunderstood my point about how relationships are recorded/displayed. I am trying to find a way of indicating a relationship other than marriage in a graphical descendant tree. The convention is the double line linking the parents; I would like to have another graphical indicator - perhaps a dotted or dashed line - to indicate a non-marriage. If the newest FTM does this, then that's great.  Incidentally I'm using FTM 2006 so I appreciate that I am talking about out-of-date software, on the basis that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, now it is 'broke' for my purposes, I need to update, which was why I contacted MacKiev, and ended up getting misinformed.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 10:35 BST (UK) »
Ah I see what you mean. In charts FTM doesn't make the distinction between married and unmarried partners, even though the relationship is recorded correctly. In both cases they are joined with a double line as you say.

Martin