Author Topic: Audenshaw | A.A Bailey Grocers | Bailey Family  (Read 298 times)

Offline sarahbailey1994

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Audenshaw | A.A Bailey Grocers | Bailey Family
« on: Saturday 30 March 24 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters,

My great grandfather owned a green grocer's shop on Audenshaw Road in the early 50's called A.A Bailey. After going through some of the census records, it looks like it was located at 524 Audenshaw Road. I'm looking for any information of the area in the 40s and 50s and potentially anyone that had a connection with the family and would be happy to share any stories or memories. (long shot I know).

I have found a programme for the Little Red Riding Hood play at Red Hall Methodist Sunday School in Feb/March 1949 where my grandad Alan played the character Baron Wortwissle. I have also found a photo from the pantomime "Aladdin" the following year.

Little is known about my grandfather's / great grandfather's time in England as they moved to New Zealand in 1954 and the stories were not passed down unfortunately.

Great Grandfather - Alfred Abel Bailey born 1896 Lancashire - Married Nellie Nesbitt
Grandfather - Alan Sidney Bailey born 1932

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Audenshaw | A.A Bailey Grocers | Bailey Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:45 GMT (UK) »
There's an item in the Manchester Evening News, 13 Feb 1954, announcing the engagement of the " ... youngest son of Mr and Mrs A.A. Bailey, 524 Audenshaw Road ..."

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:12 GMT (UK) »
524 Audenshaw Road is the address for Alfred and family aboard the Stratheden, sailing for Oz 11 Mar 1954.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 24 15:44 BST (UK) »
There's a document from 1939 which seems to be Arthur A as a label printing mechanic in Droylsden. B 1896
Nellie is a Tenter, cotton.  B 1896
There's an Arthur Alfred b 1929 and another entry redacted

Also possible for 2 daughters.  Mildred E 1922  and Mary G 1925
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 24 09:01 BST (UK) »
If you are on Facebook, you might like to join the group Audenshaw Past and Present

There are pictures of the Trough at  https://public.tameside.gov.uk/imagearchive/Default.asp

Just put trough in the search box. Looking on google maps, the shop would have been quite near to the Trough.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 24 09:26 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a map from 1939

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103866

In the 1939 census, it says that Alfred A Bailey was a Mechanic Leather printing? Porting?
If you look on the map above where it says Audenshaw UD, you will see a leather works on Lumb Lane.

I think that the 524 Audenshaw would have been near to where it says Dean Head Farm.

If you put Noblett in the search box for the images I mentioned in my last reply, there are pictures of the area. Robert Noblett, Tanners and Leather Dressers paid for aerial photographs of the area  to be taken.

Offline sarahbailey1994

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 24 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the information everyone, has helped with my research already.

Very interesting to learn my grandfather was engaged before leaving to Melbourne and then on to New Zealand their final destination.

I have joined that Facebook group too, thanks for sharing this info and the map :).