Author Topic: 300 yearold parchment in NZ - Matthew EAST & James TILLYER  (Read 367 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
300 yearold parchment in NZ - Matthew EAST & James TILLYER
« on: Sunday 31 March 24 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand.

Today the STUFF group of mastheads, is giving coverage to a lady who's family is in possession of an 18th century tenancy agreement, on parchment.

It was found down the back of an old couch by her late father, when she was only a child.

Today she feels that it should probably be returned to the UK for safe keeping, by descendants, but who and where.

Thinking someone on RootsChat might like to follow this story up, I will post a link to the article.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/350226847/300-year-old-document-found-down-back-couch

The publisher can be reached via; newstips  at  stuff.co.nz

By private message I can probably give a direct link to the named author of of the article. STUFF publishes a number of regional newspapers throughout New Zealand.

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 300 yearold parchment in NZ - Matthew EAST & James TILLYER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 24 22:15 BST (UK) »
I did a screenshot and zoomed in - it’s a bit blurry
There are two parishes mentioned. One is Darlington, Harlington Middlesex.

So I wonder if James Tillyer of Harmondsworth, Middlesex. Whose probate of 1753 is on ancestry is a contender.  (And here at TNA. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D522890)

Property in parish of Darlington Harlington  is mentioned.

He had a son also James,  grandchildren Silas & Sophia Palmer,  Grandson - Thomas Rolfe “son of my daughter Anne”. She’s married to Henry Hornor? (Not sure of that) of West Drayton.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 24 22:20 BST (UK) »
I think the other parish in the lease  doc. looks like “Hayes otherwise Heese”

There is a Heese mentioned in the will too.

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 24 03:40 BST (UK) »
Which of the potential ten million descendants will the owner/finder choose to receive it ?
I admit I am a bit surprised by this number and would welcome if someone wants to put me on the right path. I know most are now deceased.
If it is the case, a museum would be the easy way out, whether Hayes, Middlesex, under the noisy paths of jets off to NZ, or in New Zealand itself as part of it's own history.