Author Topic: How to get a copy of a page from an English newspaper from 1974  (Read 413 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to get a copy of a page from an English newspaper from 1974
« on: Monday 01 April 24 11:46 BST (UK) »
My local library has the paper but the way it has been bound means that a photocopy of the page - it's a report of a wedding - doesn't come out very well, the photograph particularly.

So I tried the BNA and they have the paper online for some but not all of the 1970s - 1974 being a year that is missing.

If I know what page of which edition does anyone know if there is a way I can order - happy to pay a fee - a good copy of the page from the BNA? I assume they must have it even though it's not yet in the digitised collection.

It's the couple's golden wedding in a few months which is why I'm after the newspaper report.

Thanks for any help.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a copy of a page from an English newspaper from 1974
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 24 11:57 BST (UK) »

Some, but not many, UK local papers have their online archives either individually or sometimes as collectives with other regional papers that may be owned by a group.  Try Googling the paper's name and see whats out there.  However, I am well aware many local papers no longer exist!! Good hunting

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 24 12:24 BST (UK) »
If the page doesn't photocopy well, try taking photographs of the page.  My library and Archives allow photos to be taken. Mine doesn't charge for a camera license but some might.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 24 13:39 BST (UK) »
If you cannot get the whole article in one photo then take if in bits with an overlap of the coverage and then there are several programs ( Apps ) which can “Stitch” the images together to make one image of the whole article.
Alternatively most smartphones have a Panorama function for taking photos. Used where you pan the camera around the view and the phone automatically produces a combined image. Not tried it but it may work if you scan it up and down as well as side to side.
Try both methods at home rather than experimenting when you get to the  place where the newspaper is.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 24 15:30 BST (UK) »
If you can get to the British Library, you can order a copy of any newspaper which hasn't yet been digitized, through their Newsroom, and then photograph it to get the best copy. https://blogs.bl.uk/thenewsroom/
For those who don't already know, you can also access the BNA for free in the British Library.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 24 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, the way the paper has been bound means that not all of the bit I want is totally visible.

I can get to the BL so I think that is the way to go.

Thanks all.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas