Author Topic: Location on death record  (Read 300 times)

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location on death record
« on: Tuesday 02 April 24 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking into a potential death record for one of my ancestors, and investigating one possibility, this record shows up. I'm not 100% sure about this, but by process of elimination of other records, I think this is the most likely for my ancestor.

I've translated the printed Latin, using Google, so, caution is necessary, but I'm not sure about the entry after ex (from). It looks to be in Latin, but I'm not sure, and I can't decipher all of the letters.

The record reads:

Year 1892, 28 November, Anna Finn from (?) aged 77, in the communion of the Holy Mother of the Church he returned his soul to God, protected by the Sacraments, whose body was buried on [3 December 1892].

The death certificate states that she died on 28 November 1892 at the West Derby Workhouse, Liverpool.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you! :)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location on death record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 04:31 BST (UK) »
I think it is her home address of Hills Place and there is a Hills Place in Liverpool now but whether it is the same one?

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 05:01 BST (UK) »
I think it is her home address of Hills Place and there is a Hills Place in Liverpool now but whether it is the same one?

Thank you for your response!  :) I only managed to find two places beginning with 'Hill' in Liverpool, using this site https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/old-streets-liverpool Hill Place, and Hill Street. Hill Place is in West Derby, so could be a fit, but may rule out this record as Ann tended to stick to the Vauxhall area according to the censuses. Still, would be useful to clarify, even if just to rule this record out.

But then also googling for more information about the West Derby workhouse, I found that part of it was located at Low Hill. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I wouldn't say Low Hill looks like what is written in the record, any thoughts?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 05:11 BST (UK) »
On the 1889-1891 Electoral registers, there is this:
Name    Ann Finn
Residence Date    1889-1891
Residence Street Address    2 Hills Place Wavertree
Residence Place    Lancashire, England
Parlimentary Division    Blackpool

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 05:16 BST (UK) »
On the 1889-1891 Electoral registers, there is this:
Name    Ann Finn
Residence Date    1889-1891
Residence Street Address    2 Hills Place Wavertree
Residence Place    Lancashire, England
Parlimentary Division    Blackpool

Thank you!  :) I think this confirms this record isn't the one I was after. I was following this, as at the time of the 1891 census, there is an Ann Finn about the right age in the West Derby workhouse. I'll try to find a 1891 census entry for Hills Place.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 05:39 BST (UK) »
She was also there at that address in 1881, with husband William. Both born Ireland.
1881  Piece 3717 Folio 13 Page 20

Her full address, according to FindMyPast would be    2, Hills Place, Wavertree, West Derby, Lancashire, England, so maybe?

In 1891, a widow, and only 5 yrs older than she was in 1881!
1891  Piece 3003 Folio 46 Page 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 06:22 BST (UK) »
She was also there at that address in 1881, with husband William. Both born Ireland.
1881  Piece 3717 Folio 13 Page 20

Her full address, according to FindMyPast would be    2, Hills Place, Wavertree, West Derby, Lancashire, England, so maybe?

In 1891, a widow, and only 5 yrs older than she was in 1881!
1891  Piece 3003 Folio 46 Page 23

Thanks very much for your help! I think this confirms this isn't the Ann I was after! Similarities are there though, my Ann's husband was also William, and she would've been widowed by 1891 too. Can't see any matches, last information I have on her is when she's in the Brownlow Hill Workhouse in late 1882, nothing after that. Her husband William dies in November 1887, and she wasn't the informant on his death certificate (I am entirely certain of this record, as everything matches), so perhaps a death between 1882 and 1887 is possible, but still nothing.

For the 1891 census, there was a possibility, in the West Derby workhouse:
Ann Finn      Pauper  widow 69      gen domestic servant   Ireland (will look for the exact details soon, e.g. folio, etc, sorting through paper records at the moment!) This was the one that led me to this record, with the workhouse death being something I thought made this more plausible than anything else.

Her other census entries:

1851: on Ancestry as Ann TIM
Piece   2178
Folio   44
Page number   32

1861:on Ancestry as Ann FLEM
Piece   2659
Folio   40
Page number   24

1871:
Piece   3767
Folio   24
Page number   1

1881:
Piece   3605
Folio   33
Page number   25

I can't find anything at all in 1901, but no death records between 1891 and 1901 either. There is an Ann Finn aged 72 dying in Lancashire in 1894, but registration district is incorrect.