Author Topic: Victoria Mills, Rutland Street, Bradford  (Read 336 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Victoria Mills, Rutland Street, Bradford
« on: Tuesday 02 April 24 12:02 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at the family of the Reverend David Black, minister of Tillicoultry Free Kirk in Clackmannanshire, Scotland.

Three of his sons, John Dykehead Black, Matthew Thomson Black and David Black, were involved in a woolcombing business in Victoria Mills, Bradford. Matthew and David must have moved to Bradford between 1881, when they were in the census in Glasgow, and 1891, when they were in Bradford. I don't yet know where John was in 1881, but he was head of the household at 11 Sherborne Road where his brothers were in 1891. Apart from John in 1881, I have basic details - births, deaths, marriages and census - for all of them, and for their parents, five sisters and the fourth brother. Matthew was the last survivor, and his death notice in the Bradford Observer in 1941 describes him as 'Chairman of Directors of W and M Thompson Black Ltd, Woolcombers, Bradford'.

Matthew seems to have gone into a formal partnership, W and M Thom(p)son Black, because the dissolution of the partnership was announced in the London and Edinburgh Gazettes in October 1899. Matthew retained the name of the firm and continued in business on his own. Presumably it must at some point have been turned into a limited company, but I have yet to find any evidence of that.

What I would most like to know is who the William Black was who was in partnership with Matthew. I've tried the newspaper archive via FindMyPast, so far without success, other than a report of a fire in Victoria Mills in 1897.

I note that there are several references to the bankrupcy of the owners of Victoria Mills, Low Moor, Bradford, in 1883. It would be beautifully neat and tidy if Victoria Mills, Rutland Street and Victoria Mills, Low Moor, were one and the same, because then it would make sense that the unknown William Black and the brothers John, Matthew and David Black took it over after the bankruptcy. Can Rutland Street be described as being in Low Moor?

Ideas, anyone?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Mills, Rutland Street, Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 13:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry to destroy your theory but...

Two large scale maps, Bradford 1891, showing the two Victoria Mills in different places.

Low Moor
https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642182#zoom=5&lat=3563&lon=2423&layers=BT

Rutland Street
https://maps.nls.uk/view/229405470#zoom=4&lat=5239&lon=6572&layers=BT
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 13:52 BST (UK) »
In the 1898 Post Office Bradford Directory, apart from W & M Thompson Black, commission woolcombers, Victoria mills, Rutland Street, T.N. 330 [no idea what that means], the only other candidates for William Black are Wm. Black & Son, plasterers, 202 Lumb Lane; and William Black, bookkeeper, 28 Bateman street. I suppose the bookkeeper is an outside possibility?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 13:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry to destroy your theory but...
Not a problem - I thought it was too neat, and having looked at the maps it seemed dubious anyway.

Book-keeper? Not impossible.

TN - Telephone Number?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:01 BST (UK) »
Telephone Number – didn’t think of that. When did firms start with telephones?

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:04 BST (UK) »
replying to my own reply #2, if William Black was an investor with no active role in running the company then there is no reason to assume that he would live in Bradford.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:04 BST (UK) »
https://www.britishtelephones.com/histuk.htm suggests that it was before 1898.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:06 BST (UK) »
replying to my own reply #2, if William Black was an investor with no active role in running the company then there is no reason to assume that he would live in Bradford.
True. But at that time it was a two-man partnership, not a company as such. I'd be surprised if it involved a sleeping partner, but that can't be ruled out.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:09 BST (UK) »
There is no William Black at that address in 1901, but looking at the occupations of the neighbours it doesn’t look right for the man you are seeking.