Author Topic: Helena Molony in censuses  (Read 610 times)

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helena Molony in censuses
« on: Tuesday 02 April 24 13:35 BST (UK) »
I can't for the life of me find the labour activist Helena Molony in either the 1901 or the 1911 Census of Ireland. She's said to have lived with her brother Frank (a couple of years older than her) and his wife in Sherrard Street from around 1900 to 1910.
She was born in 1883 to Michael Molony, grocer, and Kate, née McGrath, in 8 Cole's Lane (off Henry Street just to the north of the Liffey); in 1885 her mother died, and in 1890 her father died. Her father had remarried, but she and her brother Frank did not get on with their stepmother and left home around 1899. Frank and his wife emigrated to the US in 1909.
I've found her birth in 1883 and her parents' marriage in 1876, and what's probably her father's death in 1890 (TB, NDU) and her mother's in 1885 (epilepsy, Cole's Lane); and possibly her father's remarriage in 1887 (to Catherine O'Hanlon; he's in Clanbrassil Street and a grocer, which sounds right, but he gives his father's name as Denis, whereas he named him as Michael in the earlier marriage…

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helena Molony in censuses
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:43 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of these!
The link to the marriage of Maurice/Frank above is actually a link to the census, and I can't find that marriage…? Edit: ah, found it, thank you! https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1902/10292/5746311.pdf
If this is the death of their father it's sad indeed https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06107/4743000.pdf
Helena Molony had started acting by 1911, parallel with the closure of her journal Bean na hÉireann, which may have moved her around in the census that year - she could have been touring with one of the theatre companies.
If Frank and his wife left Ireland and emigrated to America around 1909, it suddenly occurs to me, they might be on ship's records.
That census entry is interesting - I thought Frank and Helena had actually run away from their wicked stepmother two years before 1901.
What did Catherine Mary die of? I see that she was "delicate from birth" and had something "8 months certified".

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:12 BST (UK) »

The link to the marriage of Maurice/Frank above is actually a link to the census, and I can't find that marriage…?

The marriage was in Rathdown SRD on 19 November 1902 at Bray RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1902/10292/5746311.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:15 BST (UK) »
Snap!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry for posting the wrong link but Kiltaglassan found it.

Catherine Mary- "Delicacy from birth Tabes Mesenterica 8 mos."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:23 BST (UK) »
I saw that 1890 death but far too young to be the father Michael (1890-25 years=1865)- first marriage was 1876. Also address is Richmond _.

Speaking of address, notices in newspapers show 8 Coles Lane coming up in sales notices in Oct.1885 (Michael's 1st wife Kate died the Aug. previous).