Author Topic: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.  (Read 5808 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 20:43 BST (UK) »
1901 directory- James McKee, sailor, 44 Burnaby St.
1901 census (31 Mar.)- https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s/Burnaby_Street/982126/ Annie McKee (c1863 Co.Antrim, hemstitcher at home); Mary McKee (c1897 Belfast); John J. McKee (c1900 Belfast); Kathleen McKee (c1902 Belfast)
Missing Annie’s ‘marriage’ to James McCabe
1902, Sept.- death of James McCabe, RIC, bachelor https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05689/4603510.pdf (clipping “though not officially known he was married and leaves a wife and family”, from & buried Co.Monaghan, reply #30)

1907 directory- Mrs. McKee, 12 Donnybrook St. (also 1910)

1911 census (Apr.1)- https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor/Donnybrook_Street/157261/ Annie McCabe (widow c1867 Co.Antrim); Mary McCabe (c1890 Belfast, handkerchief _ folder); John James McCabe (c1892 Belfast, house painter); Kathleen McCabe (bc1894 Belfast, office asst.)

1912 directory- John McCabe, painter, 12 Donnybrook St.
1915- McCabe/McGrath marriage- groom’s parents- James McCabe RIC & Annie McKinstry
1918 directory- Mrs. McCabe, 12 Donnybrook St. (also 1924, 1932)

1936, 19 May- death of Annie McCabe, age 69, died 12 Donnybrook St. “widow of James McCabe a Constable R.I.C.” registered by son J.J. McCabe, 13 Rockville St.
1939 directory- Miss M. McCabe, 12 Donnybrook St. (also 1951)
1960 directory- Miss M. McKee, 14 Donnybrook St.

1968, 8 Sept.- death of Mary Elizabeth McKibben of 28 Station Rd. Whiteabbey, husband William & children (clipping- sister Kathleen; 26 Hawthorne Ave. Carrickfergus)- reply #58
1974 directory- Kathleen McCabe 12 Donnybrook St.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 20:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at the snippet about James McCabe, RIC, having a wife, I wondered if he was actually married to someone other than Annie. Confined my search to Belfast registration district and this is the only one I found (may not be the same James McCabe)-

James McCabe (policeman) m. Anna Meek (teacher)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10848/5960751.pdf
Article said "wife and family" which sounds like more than 1 child but couldn't find any children born to this couple in N.I. counties (GRONI's database). Perhaps Annie McKinstry/McKinley/McKee was the wife in question although we still haven't found a marriage for them.

Added- went through Valuation Revision Books to check 9 Blackwater St., 3 Fifth St. and 44 Burnaby St. for any sign of Annie etc. but nothing noted in any of the books for the relevant periods.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 21:13 BST (UK) »
That is incredible, all day we have talked about this and Eilish spoke to her cousin in England as she spent more time in the grand parents house than my wife. Her cousin said she knew of the name changes of Mc Kee and mentioned out of wedlock etc but it was not mentioned in detail in front of her. Can you summarise what you think has really happened. I am most grateful to you and your colleagues for all your help and I know from the past you have helped me with my family of which I am very appreciative. G
History. Militaria.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 21:27 BST (UK) »
I know we thought Annie and family went back and forth using different surnames, etc. but looking at it all in date order she was fairly consistent (for a little while each time at least).

I did find a possible birth IF she was Annie McKinstry and born c1867 (which may or may not be true)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03489/2282488.pdf

She possibly came to Belfast for work if she was born elsewhere in County Antrim (as in 1901 and 1911). Maybe aged about 20 when she had an illegitimate daughter Mary in 1886 (according to Mary's birth record) although church records lists Mary's father as John McKinley. Next child is John in 1888 (birth certificate lists father as James (not John) McKinley, fireman). Third child, Kathleen, born 1891 at 3 Fifth St. Wonder is she & Mr. McKinley have parted company because now she and children are McKee.
Then, we have death of James McCabe in 1902 but she's still McKee (up to 1910 directory). In 1911 census she and children are McCabe. Son John marries as McCabe but a good while after Annie dies the daughters are back to the McKee surname.

Just thought of something else to check ...

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 21:44 BST (UK) »
There is always the possibility that the James McCabe dying in 1902 is not the right one.  There is that other RIC officer in the directories in Reply #66, who would fit somewhat better in the timeline?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 21:46 BST (UK) »
Though about that also but nothing, so far, explains why we can't find a marriage. Also, there's that strange mention of an unknown wife for the James who died in 1902.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 21:59 BST (UK) »
Have eliminated Mary Elizabeth McKibben (died Whiteabbey in 1968) from this family- see replies 58 and 59.
Death registration gives Mary McKibbin as age 89 (so born c1879), death notice mentions son-in-law and husband was William. I checked marriage from 1911 onwards and nothing for a William McKibbin to a Mary McCabe/McKee/McKinley. Also, the correct Mary was baptised Mary Josephine not Mary Elizabeth. Lastly, M. McKee appears in Belfast directory until 1960.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 22:25 BST (UK) »
Found where Annie is buried! Belfast City Cemetery- Glenalina Extension (G1 334)
Annie McCabe, 12 Donnybrook St., age 69, died 19 May 1936 (matches death registration).
https://online.belfastcity.gov.uk/find-burial-records/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=6607.10167
Unfortunately no one else listed in plot  :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 22:34 BST (UK) »