Author Topic: Thomas Bee  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Caitpaige24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bee
« on: Thursday 04 April 24 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my Dad's side of the family.
His mother was Mrtyle Bee. Her Father was Thomas Bee.

We don't really know alot about him or his family.

I know he was born in Scotland in around 1894-1899 not sure when in this time frame
He Married a Dorothy Caroline Rouse in 1925 and they had 5 children together.

They lived in Surrey with the children for a few years and then from what I remember from the stories my Gran used to tell He either left/or was kicked out the home but I don't remember when.

I know it's not a lot to go on but any help would be much appreciated.

-Caitlin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 24 21:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

It helps to know the name of the starting person - I see that Dorothy C Rouse married Thomas A Bee in 1925 in Farnham so I assume that it's this Thomas A Bee whom you wish to research. Have you seen that marriage certificate, and if so, what was the given name of Thomas' father? What does the middle initial A stand for? And what was Thomas A Bee's occupation? How old was he?

There are no records of anyone named Myrtle Bee in the indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk so we have to start somewhere else. In England there is a Myrtle Bee, mother's maiden surname Rouse, born in 1930, and there's a marriage of a Myrtle Bee to Albert Parratt in 1947, but no earlier mentions of the name. In particular I have found none in the 1901 or 1911 census.

In the 1939 Register there's a Thomas Bee, born 16 April 1895, with a wife called Edith. Another one, born 18 June 1898, is listed with a wife named Rhoda.

There are four Thomas Bees in the 1901 census in Scotland. One of them was born in Edinburgh in 1900, and the others are all much older. There was another Thomas Bee born in 1892, but he died in 1893. There are no other births after 1884 until 1902, when there are no fewer than three in the same year.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:34 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Bee attested for the military in May 1914
He was born Dalkeith Midlothian. He was 18 and 52 days, a miners drawer.
He was discharged in July 1914 for having made a mis-statement on his age at enlistment. (Probably was younger than he said)
His father was Thomas  of Chalmers Close Dalkeith. A  brother – Hugh, and sisters _ Mary Christina and Louisa
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Caitpaige24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:44 BST (UK) »
So quick edit to the original post.

I know his name was Thomas Andrew Bee.
His family were from Scotland (Possibly Edinburgh, Midlothian)

He was indeed married to a Dorothy Catherine Rouse in 1925

They had 5 children together including Mrtyle Bee born 1930 (who went on to marry Albert Henry Parratt)

All the information I have is from my Aunt and that's all she knows. We don't have a copy of the original marriage certificate so don't know the parents names or thier occupations at time of marriage.

I've been looking on ancestry but can only seem to find a register of the marriage and nothing else.

-Cait.

Offline Caitpaige24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:48 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Bee attested for the military in May 1914
He was born Dalkeith Midlothian. He was 18 and 52 days, a miners drawer.
He was discharged in July 1914 for having made a mis-statement on his age at enlistment. (Probably was younger than he said)
His father was Thomas  of Chalmers Close Dalkeith. A  brother – Hugh, and sisters _ Mary Christina and Louisa

So quick edit to the original post.

I know his name was Thomas Andrew Bee.
His family were from Scotland (Possibly Edinburgh, Midlothian)

He was indeed married to a Dorothy Catherine Rouse in 1925

They had 5 children together including Mrtyle Bee born 1930 (who went on to marry Albert Henry Parratt)

All the information I have is from my Aunt and that's all she knows. We don't have a copy of the original marriage certificate so don't know the parents names or thier occupations at time of marriage.

We know that he must of moved from Scotland to England at some point as the Marriage was registered in Surrey. We also know he must of lived in Farnham, Surrey for some time as that was where my Gran was born and raised.

I've been looking on ancestry but can only seem to find a register of the marriage and nothing else.

I thought it could have been this Thomas who was in the military and then discharged due to lying about age but have ruled that out since he was married to a different woman in 1920 and stayed up in Scotland.

-Cait.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:49 BST (UK) »
You will need to get the marriage certificate to be able to move forward with your search.

From the names I posted above:
I can see this family in the 1909 census in Dalkeith (15 Back Street)
Thomas Bee 44 Brewers Cellarman
Margaret C Bee 22 daughter
Mary C Bee 15 daughter
Hugh C Bee 11 son
Agnes C Bee 7 daughter

In 1891 census they are at the same address. Also at that time is the mother Mary (nee Cheyne), and another daughter Louisa, with some Cheyne nephews.

At this point we don't know if this is the correct family.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Caitpaige24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:53 BST (UK) »
You will need to get the marriage certificate to be able to move forward with your search.

From the names I posted above:
I can see this family in the 1909 census in Dalkeith (15 Back Street)
Thomas Bee 44 Brewers Cellarman
Margaret C Bee 22 daughter
Mary C Bee 15 daughter
Hugh C Bee 11 son
Agnes C Bee 7 daughter

In 1891 census they are at the same address. Also at that time is the mother Mary (nee Cheyne), and another daughter Louisa, with some Cheyne nephews.

At this point we don't know if this is the correct family.

Hi,
Yeah at first i thought it could of possibly been this family too but we have been able to rule that out due to him going on to marry a different woman (nor Dorothy) and having g children with her.

I think you may be right in that we might need to try and find the original marriage certificate between Dorothy and Thomas. I'll have to see if my aunt knows where it could be.

Thank you for the help.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 April 24 22:56 BST (UK) »
Forget about Ancestry. It won't have the information you need.

You can get a copy of the actual marriage certificate from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp - the GRO Index Reference is
Year 1925
Quarter Apr-May-Jun
District name Farnham
Volume Number 2a
Page number 289
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 24 23:00 BST (UK) »
From the 1911 Scotland census, we see 4 possibilities …..

Thomas Bee born abt 1903 living in Larbert, Sterling
Thomas Bee born abt 1900 living in Tranent, East Lothian
Thomas Bee born abt 1898 living in Forgan Fife
Thomas Bee born abt 1908 living in Newington, Midlothian