Author Topic: Barrack Police  (Read 127 times)

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Barrack Police
« on: Thursday 04 April 24 12:58 BST (UK) »
My 3x grandfather was a part of the Barrack Police whilst serving with the 88th Connaught Rangers, in the West Indies during the late 1840’s. I’m assuming he would have been a part of policing the barracks and guardhouse etc? Could anyone throw a little more light on what his duties would have entailed?

Steve.
Census Information Crown

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barrack Police
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 24 13:39 BST (UK) »
I can't tell you much about what duties they had in the 1840s beyond the obvious ones of preventing thefts from the barracks by acquisitive locals and ensuring order among the off-duty soldiery, but the role probably hasn't changed all that much compared to today's so-called Regimental Police, more properly referred to as Provost staff.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Barrack Police
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 24 14:52 BST (UK) »
AndyJ2022,

Thank you for the reply. I guessed it would have a form of military police, keeping discipline etc, I have no doubt they dragged a few drunken lads back from the town at night! My 3xgg moved to Canada with the 88th as part of the police, before returning to Chatham in 1851. His military career ended after taking part in the major battles of the Crimea War where he took grapeshot to the leg and lost and arm at Redan, he was pensioned out in 1856.

Thank you again.
Steve.
Census Information Crown